MitsuStyle

MitsuStyle (http://www.mitsustyle.com/forums/index.php)
-   Turbo / Engine / Drivetrain (http://www.mitsustyle.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=91)
-   -   Engine Oil (http://www.mitsustyle.com/forums/showthread.php?t=195)

asshanson 05-19-2009 08:56 AM

Re: Engine Oil

I wish there was info on the non-synthetics like that. Also wish it included info on the oil after being run the equivalent of 5k miles or something. But a good read though.

Kracka 06-10-2009 03:04 PM

I found some good info on Mobil's website, including this:

Question:
Oil Film Strength of Mobil 1 Compared with Royal Purple
Does Mobil 1 have less oil film strength than Royal Purple? I have seen many times the friction test of oils using the machine that test the oil film, test result shows that Royal Purple has more friction protection that Mobil 1 does, seeing these results makes me think that Mobil 1 is lacking some benefits, therefore Royal Purple has the better protection of all.
-- Guillermo Tristani, Miami, OR
Answer:
There are certain oils in the market today that use EP (extreme pressure) additives in their engine oil that are really designed for gear oils and not engine oils. Extreme pressure additives are typically not used in engine oils for a number of reasons but the most important is because they can cause engine corrosion over time. The rigs being used in these demonstrations are primarily designed for industrial applications like gear oils where extreme pressure is an important performance feature you need. These demonstration rigs have very little to do with modern engines and that is the reason that market leading oils in the industry perform poorly in these tests.

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/..._Strength.aspx

Lots of other good answers on there too if you have time to read through it all.

95talonracer 06-10-2009 08:23 PM

Amsoil!

stickyphoenix 06-16-2009 11:14 PM

I'm putting Rotella in Emma's ass next oil change. conventional, since that's all she's known.

goodhart 06-25-2009 06:58 PM

Just heard about this stuff on the TV show Cut Chop Rebuild today, kinda wonder if it's any good?

http://www.royalpurple.com/breakin-oil-rh.html

Kracka 06-25-2009 07:55 PM

I don't trust anything from Royal Purple. If you want a good engine break-in oil use any of the conventional high mileage oils since they contain much more moly than traditional oil. Some manufacturers (Honda for example) add extra moly to the factory fill oil.

stikx 05-27-2010 02:04 PM

Brad Penn motor oil?? thoughts?

I'm seeing a lot of people use it in their built motors, especially the 20 W 50. its a lot cheaper than amsoil race oil and more available.

Kracka 05-27-2010 02:07 PM

Re: Brad Penn motor oil?? thoughts?

Quote:

Originally Posted by stikx (Post 341968)

I'm seeing a lot of people use it in their built motors, especially the 20 W 50. its a lot cheaper than amsoil race oil and more available.

There is nothing special about Pennsylvania crude if you ask me; all the base stocks are refined so heavily it doesn't matter in the end. You'll find the main differences between oils comes down to the additive package, not the actual petroleum. If you're looking for a quality conventional there are cheaper alternatives out there.

C89ZX7R 05-30-2010 05:17 PM

***Do NOT use Rotella T6 if you have Cat Converters on the car*** T6 has a high level of Zinc which will destroy the converter!

Shane@DBPerformance 05-30-2010 07:03 PM

Do not run Mobile 1 5w30, if you are making more than stock HP and don't want to spin a rod bearing or put a rod through your block. I personally wouldn't run any brand 5w30 or any Mobile 1 anymore. 4G63s are a bit more forgiving than some motors when it comes to oil, but I recommend most people run at least a 10w40 in the Summer.

cmspaz 05-30-2010 07:44 PM

RotellaT it is, then.

My car somehow manages to burn Mobil 1, I'm down a qt over 3k, so I'm definitely up for a switch.

Shane@DBPerformance 05-30-2010 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmspaz (Post 342323)
My car somehow manages to burn Mobil 1, I'm down a qt over 3k, so I'm definitely up for a switch.

All kinds of cars do that, it's crap.

C89ZX7R 05-30-2010 08:19 PM

Last car was a 2004 STi. Mobil 1 is CRAP! Number one leading cause to spun bearings in the subie community!

stikx 05-30-2010 08:48 PM

Will 10w30 be fine for summer? I bought a case of amsoil dominator race oil. Car won't be driven in the winter.

turbotalon1g 05-30-2010 11:52 PM

I run valvoline conventional 5w-30 then switch to 10w30 when it gets hot, I try to get rotella if its in the right weight, but I have been unlucky.

95talonracer 05-31-2010 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stikx (Post 342327)
Will 10w30 be fine for summer? I bought a case of amsoil dominator race oil. Car won't be driven in the winter.

Yes it is just fine to run that. The lightest oil I run all of the time which I only drive my car in the summer anyways is Amsoil 20w-50.

Halon 05-31-2010 01:37 PM

I run straight crude oil. BP is practically giving it away right now.

311evo 05-31-2010 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halon (Post 342370)
I run straight crude oil. BP is practically giving it away right now.

LOL. We should make a roadtrip down there with a boat and a few buckets. Theyre giving away free lifetime supply. ;)

goodhart 06-02-2010 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ecoli (Post 342322)
Do not run Mobile 1 5w30, if you are making more than stock HP and don't want to spin a rod bearing or put a rod through your block. I personally wouldn't run any brand 5w30 or any Mobile 1 anymore. 4G63s are a bit more forgiving than some motors when it comes to oil, but I recommend most people run at least a 10w40 in the Summer.

I just noticed this thread had been bumped recently.

I just talked to Dan, the owner of the Blue 2JZ MKIII, and he said that his car was running Mobil1 when it spun the bearings. I think it ended up being like 1 rod bearing and 3 main bearings.

Super Bleeder!! 06-02-2010 12:59 PM

I've always ran mobil1 15w-40 in my dsm during the warm months.