MitsuStyle

MitsuStyle (http://www.mitsustyle.com/forums/index.php)
-   Project Talk (http://www.mitsustyle.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Swanny's new ride: 2003 Kawasaki ZX6RR (http://www.mitsustyle.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34984)

niterydr 03-10-2015 09:16 AM

Swanny's new ride: 2003 Kawasaki ZX6RR

Well as I've now completed my divorce and I am selling the house in New Germany, I needed a toy that took up minimal garage space. Enter another sport bike. My co-worker was selling his 2003 Kawasaki ZX6-RR with 22,7xx miles on it, he is the original owner, we negotiated back and forth and settled on a price. Last year he put on new tires, shimmed valves, new K&N air filter, plugs, had suspension gone thru, new brakes (except front rotors, I added those as his OE fronts were cooked).
So on Saturday, I traded this:
https://scontent-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hp...d4&oe=558D5CE9

For this:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.n...e06b8f482830e1
:love:

But, I can't leave anything alone, so I added some additional parts and now it looks like this:
https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.n...4242078b00cc85
https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.n...2e94ff8e1dce6e

Mods List
Brakes
  • EBC HH Brake Pads Front/Rear
  • EBC XC Pro-Lite Front Rotors
  • Stainless Steel Brake Lines
Performance
  • K&N Air Filter
  • Micron High Mount Slip On
Accessories
  • Zero Gravity Double Bubble Dark Smoke Windshield
  • Black Bolts
  • Dual H4 Headlight Conversion with Phillips Extreme Vision Bulbs
  • Flushmount Front Turn Signals
  • Integrated Rear Tail Light
  • Rear Fender Eliminated
  • Carbon Fiber Tank Pad
  • PSR Click N Roll Adjustable Levers
  • Werkes USA Black GP Driver Footpegs
  • Shogun Frame Sliders
Maintenance/Consumables
  • Michelin 2CT Tires
  • New Battery
  • NGK Plugs
  • Fresh Valve shimming
  • K&N Oil Filter with Rotella T6 Oil
  • New Dot 4 Brake Fluid

Runs like a top. Goal is to ride the piss out of it this year and do some track days. I figured this is the cheapest way I can get back into the scene with something that is capable of 125+mph trap speeds and takes up a small amount of garage space, no trailer required ;)

Future plans:

Install the levers and foot pegs tonight as I don't like the factory stuff.

Going to Kansas for some riding in the Ozarks this weekend, then I'll be around this summer tuning cars, working the pits for John's Galant, and running around on this thing.

Eventually I'll add a steering dampener and a Power Commander and call it done. Then its just brakes/tires/suspension swapping and replacing broken stuff.

What is the difference between this and a regular ZX6R?

Kawasaki in 2003 had a 636cc street bike. This motor was to large for sanctioned racing, so they had to make a limited production 599cc street bike to be allowed to race with the other OEMs; enter the ZX6RR. They made 2000 per year in 2003 and 2004, this is number #1862. All are Lime Green.

Essentially it is very close to the ZX6r but has:
  • Slipper Clutch
  • Fully adjustable suspension (including rear shock with remote reservoir)
  • Adjustable Swing Arm pivot point
  • 13.0:1 compression and a 15,500 RPM Redline
  • Lap Timer (kind of a fun feature)
  • Closer ratios on 3-6th gear
  • One coil per plug
  • Adjustable Cam gears

See you around!

polishmafia 03-10-2015 09:22 AM

Re: Swanny's new ride: 2003 Kawasaki ZX6RR

Congrats on the new bike! Interesting info on Kawi making 2000 of these for those two years.

Kracka 03-10-2015 09:22 AM

www.divorcestyle.com

Badass bike, I love Kawi green!

A//// Guy 03-10-2015 09:28 AM

Nice bike! I miss riding on 2 wheels!

Sorry to hear the life news, or maybe congrats, it can go either way sometimes. lol

JET 03-10-2015 12:37 PM

Very nice! It looks really clean. I love the Micron pipe, I had one on my gsxr750. Stay safe man, lots of crazy cagers out there.

C3L1CA 03-10-2015 12:44 PM

Nice!

What kind of racing are you going to do with it?

blesi660r 03-10-2015 01:02 PM

Sweeeet! And welcome to 2 wheels :) if you're interested in dragging a knee at the track this summer hit me up.

niterydr 03-10-2015 01:37 PM

Thanks for the nods guys, I know most of you are 4 wheel lovers, but we do have quite a few bike enthusiasts on it.

Glad to have a bike again, didn't get nearly enough miles on the old yzf600r and the goal is to ride ride ride this year.

Brad,

I plan on ZARS events at DCTC and would like to get out to BIR or Road America towards season end. That being said, I am not opposed to going to a drag strip to see what it does for shens.

turbotalon1g 03-10-2015 04:11 PM

^Woot, in for shens.

I haven't trapped 125..........yet. :evil:

C3L1CA 03-10-2015 04:55 PM

I've always wanted to do the DCTC and other big track track days but was always afraid it'd wreck street riding for me.

You should bring it up to proving grounds and race it there! If you go on Friday you could hot lap the shit out of it and get a ton of runs in for cheap

SlowWhite 03-10-2015 05:33 PM

Well for starters grats on the new bike. Didnt even know you were married and well diforce can go both ways, for me divorce from my first wife was like a 2nd chance at life again, hopefully its the same feeling for you.

And third if any of you guys ever want to come down to tail of the dragon (deals gap) hit me up I would love to cruise the smokies with you all.

TkrPerformance 03-10-2015 08:25 PM

very nice but should buy a real bike yours getting old LOL

blesi660r 03-10-2015 10:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I rode Zars 2 years ago and have switched over to road closed last year and will be the same this year, I like his 30min on 30min off and registration cap for all track days, really sucks when you have 20+ppl riding the track at the same time as you, makes for some really sketcy passing at 100+ lol, did BIR Short course last year and wow, this year I'll get a chance to do the long course and that's going to be a freekin blast :)

SlowWhite 03-10-2015 10:57 PM

I envy everyone that can drag a knee I am to damn large and not flexible enough to do it.

My friend Chris has been racing for years and visits me from Rochester ny. To race at cmp. And to his surprise although I couldn't drag knee there was no more room left on my tires for me to get over he said any farther and I would have probably sided the bike. I was riding the chicken strips pretty well.

blesi660r 03-11-2015 02:52 AM

Yea after a bir or dctc day I have what they call chicken nuggets hanging off the very edges lol no chicken strip for this guy, I'll be upping to race tires this year and going from a 180 rear to a 190. Also I'm 6'3 240lbs lol my gsxr has seen only a few street miles last year and probably very very few this year

tehehodi 03-11-2015 07:04 AM

Nice bike! We should have a style ride sometime.
I also want to try some track days but I am also a pansy when it comes to riding. Willing to learn!

niterydr 03-11-2015 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlowWhite (Post 453679)
Well for starters grats on the new bike. Didnt even know you were married and well diforce can go both ways, for me divorce from my first wife was like a 2nd chance at life again, hopefully its the same feeling for you.

And third if any of you guys ever want to come down to tail of the dragon (deals gap) hit me up I would love to cruise the smokies with you all.

Yeah it was a quick 3 year run for me! I am totally in for a dragon run, after another 10k+ street miles.

Quote:

Originally Posted by blesi660r (Post 453693)
I rode Zars 2 years ago and have switched over to road closed last year and will be the same this year, I like his 30min on 30min off and registration cap for all track days, really sucks when you have 20+ppl riding the track at the same time as you, makes for some really sketcy passing at 100+ lol, did BIR Short course last year and wow, this year I'll get a chance to do the long course and that's going to be a freekin blast :)

Good feedback! The road closed stuff looked good as well, I figured I'll try them both.
Quote:

Originally Posted by tehehodi (Post 453696)
Nice bike! We should have a style ride sometime.
I also want to try some track days but I am also a pansy when it comes to riding. Willing to learn!

I agree, should be fun!

niterydr 03-11-2015 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by turbotalon1g (Post 453674)
^Woot, in for shens.

I haven't trapped 125..........yet. :evil:

You probably will this year BB!

Quote:

Originally Posted by C3L1CA (Post 453676)
I've always wanted to do the DCTC and other big track track days but was always afraid it'd wreck street riding for me.

You should bring it up to proving grounds and race it there! If you go on Friday you could hot lap the shit out of it and get a ton of runs in for cheap

I was actually thinking about that and wondering if they allowed lapping on Friday. I am assuming you'll be at PG this year? I am 90% certain we'll have John's Galant there.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TkrPerformance (Post 453690)
very nice but should buy a real bike yours getting old LOL

:rock2: You ride what now? I hope you're joking.

Kracka 03-11-2015 11:14 AM

Mark rides around on the Easy Rider chopper.

tehehodi 03-23-2015 12:03 PM

What day are you doing a ZARS day? I'd like to join in on the fun. Me being a newb, I'd be level 1. wah wuw

I'm ready to pull the trigger now and I'd like to do a full day. The reason I'm choosing ZARS(for now as a first track day) is I'd like some closer instruction and more of a classroom style setting.