MitsuStyle

MitsuStyle (http://www.mitsustyle.com/forums/index.php)
-   Turbo / Engine / Drivetrain (http://www.mitsustyle.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=91)
-   -   Equal Lenghth Axles (http://www.mitsustyle.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2247)

Enes 03-25-2004 02:23 PM

I heard that lots of fwd guys upgrade their fwd axles to awd one's because they are equal lenghth unlike the other ones?

-E

JustROLLIN 03-25-2004 03:13 PM

This is true. With equal length half shafts you will have less torque steer with the vehicle. The larger the difference in length, the greater the torque steer. Not really a necessary upgrade until quite a ways down the road. In MY opinion.

Kracka 03-25-2004 04:30 PM

Is this possible on 2G FWD's?

Goat Blower 03-25-2004 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Enes@Mar 25 2004, 02:23 PM
I heard that lots of fwd guys upgrade their fwd axles to awd one's because they are equal lenghth unlike the other ones?

-E

I wouldn't exactly say equal length. It simply uses a split axle with a carrier bearing. Some people say they work well, others say theres no difference. 2G's should be the same as 1G's since they more or less have the same motor and tranny layout.

Kracka 03-25-2004 11:36 PM

I know that 1G axles will not work in a 2G car. You would have to get some custom axles built. I sold my '94 tranny to a kid with a '95 who was sure it would work just fine (disregarded what I told him) and he had to have Raxles make him up some custom ones. I had to do the same for the '91 tranny to work in my '94.

Goat Blower 03-26-2004 11:06 PM

I meant the same idea of swapping AWD axles into a FWD, not that 1G and 2G axles are the same. I'm guessing 2G AWD axles will fit on a 2G FWD.

MATCHBX 03-27-2004 09:42 AM

I am still split on this debate. Granted the "mid" axle is rigidly bolted to the motor, but the length from the tranny to the wheel is still the same. The only thing you've really changed is where it the pivot point of that axle is. To get "true" equal length shafts you would have to have a setup like the old Olds toronado's or the Caddy eldorado's. The tranny would be partially under the engine.

unreal808 03-27-2004 09:04 PM

I would never go back to the stock FWD setup! I love the equal lenghth axles, anyone that would like to drive my car to compare, is more than welcome :3gears:
If you do the swap you need to run the AWD oil seal in the tranz, I'm trying to find someon to make the adapter to run the seal. (I have two)

You need to know the spline count of your cv axl.

Goat Blower 03-27-2004 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by unreal808@Mar 27 2004, 09:04 PM
I would never go back to the stock FWD setup! I love the equal lenghth axles, anyone that would like to drive my car to compare, is more than welcome :3gears:
If you do the swap you need to run the AWD oil seal in the tranz, I'm trying to find someon to make the adapter to run the seal. (I have two)

You need to know the spline count of your cv axl.

Hmmm, that's good to know as well. I've been getting the itch to do a cheapie project, and I just picked up a little Dodge Colt. With the light weight on this thing, even a slightly boosted 14b and a DSM motor would really haul ass. Traction would be an immediate issue. Hmmmm, projects, projects.

blown_turbo_tsi 03-28-2004 12:58 PM

wasn't there a dodge colt with a 4g63t running 10's on a stock bottom end?

bertrenolds5 09-29-2009 12:11 PM

Re: Equal Lenghth Axles

Unreal, you ever find someone that made an adapter so the awd seal would work? I need to find a good used awd axel seal or go to the stealership and also need to find an adapter or at least getto fab an adapter for the seal.

96GST16g 09-29-2009 12:36 PM

the awd axles are skinnier than the fwd and wont work i dont think

Constant_Project21 09-29-2009 12:41 PM

nothing like bumping up a 5 year old topic lmao

bertrenolds5 09-29-2009 12:43 PM

The axels on a 90-92fdw are the same size as the 90-99 awd axel. 93-94 fwd's can't do it wecause the axels are bigger but my 91fwd can becuase they are the same size. I have the intermediate shaft but I need to know about the spacer to make the awd seal fit the drivers side of my fwd tranny.

I could have posted buy I searched and found this so I thought I would keep it alive.