MitsuStyle

MitsuStyle (http://www.mitsustyle.com/forums/index.php)
-   Project Talk (http://www.mitsustyle.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   1997 GSX - DD, RR, and 11's. (http://www.mitsustyle.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34491)

SlowWhite 07-28-2014 03:43 PM

Re: 1997 GSX - DD, RR, and 11's.

Well first real test for the new radiator and now enclosed stock fan.

Temps outside were saying 101 at the bank. Car ran mostly at 196-200 thr whole way to work with momentary temps at 193 as well as 203.

When I pulled into the parking lot at work after all the speed bumps when I finally parked temps showed 210 i sat with the car idling for two minites to see if they go up but sat at 210.

Any rate for the outside temp im happy with what I was seeing. Normally anything over 95 outsode car would always sit at 216-229.

Halon 07-28-2014 05:09 PM

Id take that on a 100* day, sounds like its working fairly well, good job. I think in link you can adjust the temp the fans kick on on 2Gs as well if you wanted, but either way those temps seem decent as is.

SlowWhite 07-28-2014 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halon (Post 447790)
Id take that on a 100* day, sounds like its working fairly well, good job. I think in link you can adjust the temp the fans kick on on 2Gs as well if you wanted, but either way those temps seem decent as is.

Sorry I should have posted it earlier but since just before my first coolant flush/change I have had the fan running at all times via link.

Kracka 07-29-2014 08:02 AM

No reason to let the fan run all the time. Glad to hear your temps have become more stable!

Halon 07-29-2014 10:59 AM

At high speed, would a fan that is on acutally be a hinderance to air just trying to flow right through?

Goat Blower 07-29-2014 11:31 AM

It shouldn't be, if anything, high pressure air might push the fan speed higher. I can't see it being a restriction.

SlowWhite 07-30-2014 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kracka (Post 447812)
No reason to let the fan run all the time. Glad to hear your temps have become more stable!

Well did a test today on my way into work.

1st half of my 22mile trip I turned my fans so they run normally when needed. Temps stayed at 210.

At the half way point switched the fans to always on. And temps immediately dropped to 193 and stayed there the whole trip till I hit the parking lot where they went up to 203.

Outside temps said 95 today just for comparison

SlowWhite 07-30-2014 04:53 PM

Also had my first roll race. I was stuck behind a car doing 45 in a 75-85mph and I saw a white 300 coming up in the rear view. (There are only 4 passing zones the entire trip)
So my first chance I passed and the 300 immediately passed as well amd then tail gated the he'll out of me. Hes slow down then speed up on his third time. I accelerated amd he tried to stay with me

Input about 4 cars on him before letting off somewhere in the top of 4th.

The next passing zone he pulls up next to me give me the thumbs up amd then.continues to pass me.

On the back of his car it said Hemi, and he had some kind of aftermarket exhausts it wasn loud

SlowWhite 08-10-2014 07:13 PM

Well today got back from VIR chump race early so decided to clean my fuel filter and swap out my isc and tps sensors.

For starters first thing I noticed after taking the I/C piping off was my positive wire from the battery (relocated to the back) and I always wondered if maybe there was a loose connection. And its all hooked up to the starter and I was easily able to move the wires back and forth. I tried tightening them but they still moved. After putting on a washer and a locking washer I tried again. They tightened only I then noticed its not the wires moving but the piece they are attached to? Any idea why it swivels? I believe that is the voltage regulator its attached to. (Small round cylinder looking thing)

I attempted the free fiav mod but after taking it all apart it haf already been done. Any ill effects from going with a block off plate? (It 2) would be just to clean up the engine bay a bit)

Next I swapped out the tps sensor and noticed that the one on the car only had 3 prongs. The new one j has 4. The plug has 4 wires so I went ahead and swapped the sensor.

After that I did the isc. The old one was just filthy and when you moved it. It was easily turned.

The new one feels like it has more tension on it.

Went for a quick drive to get gas and should have done a boost leak test but forgot. Will do that tomorrow before work.

The new isc started out reading high (2turns out from close it was reading 86%)
But idled great and bov would close perfectly after rev by hand...old one read 36 when o t was set that way) any rate after the drive to the gas station isc was reading 44 when idling)
however tps even after doing the tps adjust on link. 0-100% it was still fluctuating between 0-1% at idle and when it would go to 1% idle would be high so tomorrow will be back at it. And Will be doing my BLT.

Halon 08-10-2014 09:08 PM

The fiav I usually block off, but keep the ISC for sure if you want to retain a decent idle.

SlowWhite 08-14-2014 04:45 PM

7 Attachment(s)
Well little more work done to the car today. The windshield wipers were getting rusty from all the rain we've had this month (seems like every day for the past month)
I took a wire brush and took all the rust /paint all the way down to the metal, and then painted first with flat black rustoleum. Looked a little to dull for me so I then used gloss black rustoleum. They are still drying in my garage so I haven't seen the final product as I had to leave for work. I also painted the little caps as well. As the previous owner had gotten red on them by accident so they looked bad.

Kracka 08-15-2014 07:12 AM

Nice progress! I repainted my 1G wiper arms too, really made the car look better. I also repainted the plastic trim underneath the wipers.

SlowWhite 08-15-2014 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kracka (Post 448296)
Nice progress! I repainted my 1G wiper arms too, really made the car look better. I also repainted the plastic trim underneath the wipers.

that will probably be next as he spilled red paint on it also when he painted the car. Hopefully tomorrow or Sunday if the weather holds.

JET 08-15-2014 12:01 PM

FYi any time you spray bare metal you should use an acid etch primer to prevent rust in the future. Rustoleum has it in cans.

SlowWhite 08-19-2014 01:33 AM

6 Attachment(s)
well went back and painted the wiper cowling using the same "gloss black as the wiper arms".
Like posted above, it was sun faded, and had red paint spilled on it by previous owner... turned out great now i just need to get new wiper blades as they are faded and now stand out.

SlowWhite 08-19-2014 01:42 AM

its funny for being a $25/gallon rustoleum painted car it sure does shine in the pictures and that was before I washed it lol.

Kracka 08-19-2014 06:58 AM

Wipers and cowl look good, really cleans up the look. How are the sills along the windows? If they faded/cracking, you can get new ones for pretty cheap from the dealership.

Halon 08-19-2014 08:28 AM

Looks good.

SlowWhite 08-19-2014 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kracka (Post 448378)
Wipers and cowl look good, really cleans up the look. How are the sills along the windows? If they faded/cracking, you can get new ones for pretty cheap from the dealership.

pretty much all of the rubber is cracked or in rough shape. When I have the car painted come tax returns, I plan to have all the rubber, etc replaced.

I've also fixed or bought all the missing interior plastic pieces already, I just need a new passengerside airbag, and then leather seats.

Kracka 08-19-2014 12:22 PM

I think I only paid around $40 for the pair of new window sills from the dealership.