MitsuStyle

MitsuStyle (http://www.mitsustyle.com/forums/index.php)
-   Turbo / Engine / Drivetrain (http://www.mitsustyle.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=91)
-   -   Engine Oil (http://www.mitsustyle.com/forums/showthread.php?t=195)

Pushit2.0 05-02-2009 12:58 AM

Re: Interesting Oil Info

As it were I just heard about this at work today. They sell an additive or there is an oil they use to break in cams etc that has all these heavy metals, its like $6 a quart.

~John

Kracka 05-02-2009 06:12 AM

These EPA changes really suck; I believe this started taking effect a few years ago already. Now, without digging into it, aren't diesel oil except from these new regulations? If so, Delvac and Rotella are both very good oil choices.

Kracka 05-02-2009 06:17 AM

Merging thread with our current oil thread.

goodhart 05-02-2009 08:31 AM

Re: Engine Oil

A lot of the Subaru guys swear by Rotella, maybe this is why I guess. I planned on running it in the WRX next oil change anyways since it is made especially for turbo applications.

Halon 05-02-2009 09:59 AM

From what I understand, some Rotella is SM rated also, meaning it's going to be in the same boat as others (no good).

If you can find an SL rated Rotella, then that will have a better additive package. Otherwise it sounds like looking at some of the other diesel oils, other then Rotella, is what some of those guys are doing, because a lot of the other ones don't seem to care about the SM rating so they keep the additives.

Just some interesting stuff I though.

turbotalon1g 05-02-2009 10:08 AM

^damn right interesting thanks.

Halon 05-02-2009 12:03 PM

Well I just went to Napa and checked out the oils. Everything passenger car related was SM rated. So I moved over to their diesel section. They didn't have Rotella. But they had Mobil, Delo, Valvoline, and Napa brand diesel oil. All of them were CJ4 rated, which per the second link, shows that it should have just over 1000ppm of Zinc and Phos, which is a good amount. I ended up picking up a jug of the Napa brand, and did an oil change. I guess I'm going to be shopping in the diesel oil section from now on.

Swifty1638 05-02-2009 12:34 PM

Pardon my stupidity, but deisel oil isn't that special, is it? not "deisel specific" but rather, a different weight, like 15w40?

Kracka 05-03-2009 09:15 AM

Different weights (15W-40 and 5W-40) and generally designed for more heavy-duty use and applications. I might have to switch the Evo over; I'll have to take a look at the synthetic varieties.

Kracka 05-03-2009 02:36 PM

Brandon, what have you heard about the engine oils that are both SM & SL rated?

SnoEclipse 05-03-2009 04:58 PM

The SM/SL spec change is pretty stupid. In a quest to reduce the small-but-not-zero possibility that zinc/phos *might* hurt cat converters, the EPA has set up a loop that will cause a LOT of owners to change their oil more frequently.

The main reason for oil changes is to renew the additive package, not to get dirty oil out of the system. Modern oils and filters are pretty good at suspending and capturing any nasties that actually get into engine oil.

Since the new 'smaller' additive packages don't last as long, people are going to generate 5 liters of 'used' oil 2-3 more times a year. And since synthetic oils more than doubled in price over the past year (M1 at WalMart went from $20 a gallon to around $40- a gallon), it will cost people another $120 a year in oil. Minimum.

Yah, since getting a set of cats changed at a dealership will cost over $1000- the SL/SM change might seem like a good decision. But the chances of a cat or O2 sensor being wrecked by an oil additive package is under 5% over the life of any car (assuming 150 k miles on the car) and way below 1% for the fleet.

With a decent PCV system (including catch can) and decent engine maintenace, an owner can take the likelyhood of this problem from damned small to extremely low/zero.

Kracka 05-03-2009 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoEclipse (Post 289180)
The SM/SL spec change is pretty stupid. In a quest to reduce the small-but-not-zero possibility that zinc/phos *might* hurt cat converters, the EPA has set up a loop that will cause a LOT of owners to change their oil more frequently.

The main reason for oil changes is to renew the additive package, not to get dirty oil out of the system. Modern oils and filters are pretty good at suspending and capturing any nasties that actually get into engine oil.

The above info is dead-on accurate; most people just don't understand this and are convinced black oil = bad :(

A 5 quart jug of Mobil 1 is $26 at Walmart though (bought some this morning). As a sidenote, a few weeks ago my friend had his 8k mile old Mobil 1 from his Evo IX analyzed by Blackstone and it came back with enough additive package still remaining to be effective (3.1 TBN; anything >1.0 is satisfactory for use).

turbotalon1g 05-03-2009 06:23 PM

Rotella comes in 10w-40.

Kracka 05-03-2009 06:29 PM

All Walmart had for Rotella today was 15W-40 conventional and 5W-40 synthetic.

I'm going to stick with Mobil 1 10W-30 since that is factory-fill for Evo's and all my car has ever seen.

goodhart 05-03-2009 07:24 PM

You can also get Rotella in 10w-30.

SnoEclipse 05-04-2009 12:44 AM

Wow, back down to $26- a jug. I'm off to Wally-World. Did you happen to notice if they had any 5w-anything or was it all 10w and heavier?

Many thanks for the heads up......

Kracka 05-04-2009 06:30 AM

I saw 5W-30 and 10W-30 at $26; there might be more weights, but I didn't look.

Captian James F. Awesome 05-04-2009 08:22 AM

Mobil 1 5W-40 turbo diesel FTW. SL/SM with the higher levels of Zinc and whatnot. Plus you can get it at walmat in a jug for walmart prices.

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lub...ruck_5W-40.asp

Matt D. 05-04-2009 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kracka (Post 289183)
As a sidenote, a few weeks ago my friend had his 8k mile old Mobil 1 from his Evo IX analyzed by Blackstone and it came back with enough additive package still remaining to be effective (3.1 TBN; anything >1.0 is satisfactory for use).

I love information like this. I told someone that I had over 5k on my oil and they looked at me like I didn't care for my car.

1QUICK4 05-04-2009 08:32 AM

I've always used Mobil 1 10w30 and never had an issue.

This Saturday I used Valvoline SynPower 5w30 synthetic (had it lying around) and Sunday I have rod knock.

Most likely a coincidence but I tell you what... I'm never using anything but Mobil1 10w30 and up again.