MitsuStyle

MitsuStyle (http://www.mitsustyle.com/forums/index.php)
-   Brakes / Body / Suspension (http://www.mitsustyle.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   Headliner.. (http://www.mitsustyle.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12879)

ExTREME 09-13-2006 01:23 PM

Headliner..

Wondering what I should use to put the new fabric on my headliner on? I pulled out my saggy headline because I didnt want to rock pins. Any suggestions? any pics of some nice headliners would be helpful.
SA

Kracka 09-13-2006 01:29 PM

Re: Headliner..

I believe there is a special headliner glue you can buy at the auto parts store.

ExTREME 09-13-2006 02:12 PM

Ran down to napa and they only had 1 can of Spray Adhesive, looks like glue when you spray it out, not thick but its solid. Do i cake this on or lightly coat it? anyon eknow?

Also, would it be a spendy idea to put diamondplate on the sides of the doorpanes where that stock carpet/speaker is located? anyone know where I can buy diamondplate online preferably?

Thanks

Kracka 09-13-2006 02:22 PM

Use a thin coat of that glue.

f0urtyfive 09-13-2006 02:40 PM

where did u find a new headliner?

Goat Blower 09-13-2006 03:09 PM

3m makes a good spray adhesive. Put a very thin coat on both items being glued together, let dry for 10 minutes and then put it on using a small roller or something to push the fabric up.

A//// Guy 09-13-2006 03:10 PM

Just follow what this guy did: http://www.mnsportcompacts.net/forum...ghlight=mayjor

hahaha

Black97civic 09-13-2006 03:18 PM

3m makes some good spray shit that I have known people to have good luck with.

ExTREME 09-13-2006 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by f0urtyfive
where did u find a new headliner?

Didn't get a new headliner, took my saggy droopy one down and pulled the material off, going to get some new fabric and roll it on.

Jakey 09-13-2006 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ExTREME
Also, would it be a spendy idea to put diamondplate on the sides of the doorpanes where that stock carpet/speaker is located? anyone know where I can buy diamondplate online preferably?

Um yeah, diamond plate is fucking expensive. Why the hell would you want diamond plate on your doors anyway? Buying diamond plate online? I'd hate to see those shipping costs. Go to your local welding shop and see what they can get for you. Anytime I have worked with diamond plate I have gotten it in a sheet from a metal supply warehouse.

ExTREME 09-13-2006 06:53 PM

I just want to get rid of the carpet on the doors, with something hard, diamondplate came to mind first, I have some 1/8" aluminum but i dont know how well that would look without protruding 3d. Maybe spray it and put it in, I dont know, pipe dreams from this morning i guess.

HiImBrian 09-13-2006 08:31 PM

I replaced the headliner in my 2g a while ago. I can't think of what the material I used is called, but they make actual headliner material at joan fabrics. My headliner is really sagging down on the sides because I either didn't use enough adhesive or I pulled it too tight. So be careful about that. Any other questions just pm me.

Jakey 09-14-2006 12:02 AM

What happened to that Jeff's Custom Upholstry that people had good luck with a few years ago?

xveganxcowboyx 09-14-2006 05:02 PM

I also picked some up at Jo-Ann fabric. $15 for more than enough to do my car (maybe twice over). It's colored fabric with a layer of foam which will absorb the glue so it doesn't show through. They also sell a couple kinds of spray glue.

Now if I could only get around to doing the work...

HiImBrian 09-15-2006 03:00 PM

lots of glue is good. It usually takes a while for it to get sticky, so spray and wait like 30 seconds.

Swifty1638 09-15-2006 06:57 PM

I got some glue I keep tacking the low spots on..it holds really well. I, however want to re-cover the headliner/eliminate the sun visors (cleaner look ihmo). Anyone have a roll of black laying around they don't need, big enough for a 1g? If there is a hole in the middle that's fine, I have one of those dumb sun roof thingys. :)

-A. Swift

JET 09-15-2006 06:59 PM

3m Super 88 works very well for attaching head liners.

xveganxcowboyx 09-16-2006 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swifty1638
I got some glue I keep tacking the low spots on..it holds really well. I, however want to re-cover the headliner/eliminate the sun visors (cleaner look ihmo). Anyone have a roll of black laying around they don't need, big enough for a 1g? If there is a hole in the middle that's fine, I have one of those dumb sun roof thingys. :)

-A. Swift

If I have any left after I do mine I'll let you know. Otherwise Jo-Anne's in Midway has it.

Andrew7dg 09-17-2006 09:53 PM

Hey I just replaced my headliner this summer and may have a couple of hints

Don't use the NAPA stuff, junk
I tried using that and it just fell off
Bought 3M stuff and works much better

I also bought my fabric from Jo-Anne because they accually have fabric for headliners

Before you do any of that, make sure to take a wire brush and scrape the old foam off.