MitsuStyle

MitsuStyle (http://www.mitsustyle.com/forums/index.php)
-   Project Talk (http://www.mitsustyle.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Meet GheyRay: Lower, Wider, Lighter! (http://www.mitsustyle.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34206)

Murlo26 07-23-2014 10:01 AM

Re: Meet GheyRay: Lower, Wider, Lighter!

Damn, that is some serious stuff to get an oil change done.

cmspaz 07-23-2014 10:02 AM

WTF, actually? Good on GM for standing up for their customers when their dealer's minions can't even stand up period.

A//// Guy 07-23-2014 10:36 AM

Im just so confused.

Kracka 07-23-2014 11:05 AM

Turning into quite the expensive oil change for them! Each of the three changes has and will include all new oil and filters. It's ridiculous, but Chevy is taking this very seriously, as they should considering they designed this car to attract new buyers, many of whom have never purchased domestic before. You lose those customers now and they're gone for good. I think part of the reason they're taking it so seriously is it is not an isolated incident, it's happening all over the country and causing numerous warranty claims. Either Chevy needs to revise the stated oil capacity to be lower [again] or better train the dealerships on the complexities of a dry-sump oil system.

cmspaz 07-23-2014 11:10 AM

I just don't understand how difficult it seemingly is to follow a few simple instructions.

Halon 07-23-2014 11:14 AM

What kind of oil does it get?

polishmafia 07-23-2014 11:37 AM

Mind blown. They are a dealership, not a Jiffy Lube, and their "certified" techs still can't perform a simple oil change?

Good on you for getting in touch with GM. I would be beyond furious.

Kracka 07-23-2014 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halon (Post 447608)
What kind of oil does it get?

ACDelco Dexos1 semi-synthetic 5W-30 (made by Mobil). Mobil 1 15W-50 recommended for racing.

A//// Guy 07-23-2014 12:09 PM

So are they filling it up to the wrong capacity listed on a computer or something, and not even checking the dipstick afterwards?

Semi syn vs full syn? That seems strange.

Halon 07-23-2014 12:48 PM

Cool. I know Ford factory fill now-a-days is also semi-syn as well (Motorcraft). Well for their normal cars at least, no idea on their performance stuff but assume it's the same.

polishmafia 07-23-2014 12:48 PM

Dexos is GM's own "standard" for quality of oil. Its nothing new, its just a fancy word that they license out to oil manufactures so that GM can make more money.

Almost all 2012+ GM vehicles state they need to run "Dexos" oil. I guess they need money to pay their workers for all the recalls.

Kracka 07-23-2014 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A//// Guy (Post 447612)
So are they filling it up to the wrong capacity listed on a computer or something, and not even checking the dipstick afterwards?

Chevy revised capacity from 10.3 to 9.8 quarts last winter, that was mistake #1 for them. Mistake #2 was blindly dumping in 9.8 quarts without taking into account that is total capacity, but getting a complete drain is nearly impossible.

Kracka 07-23-2014 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halon (Post 447613)
Cool. I know Ford factory fill now-a-days is also semi-syn as well (Motorcraft). Well for their normal cars at least, no idea on their performance stuff but assume it's the same.

Yup, I think they're doing it for the extended drain intervals and to squeeze out a little extra MPG while saving on the cost of a full synthetic. Once my free oil changes are done (24k miles) I'll likely switch it over to Mobil 1 5W-30, but in the meantime I'll continue taking advantage of the free oil changes (assuming 3rd time's the charm that is).
Quote:

Originally Posted by polishmafia (Post 447614)
Dexos is GM's own "standard" for quality of oil. Its nothing new, its just a fancy word that they license out to oil manufactures so that GM can make more money.

Correct, basically a standard above the standard. Many oils meet the specification, but you do have to license the logo from GM to put it on your product so only a few have it. I think this also has to do with the extended oil drain intervals and the factory powertrain warranty; if you're getting your oil changed at JoeBlow Shop using generic bulk oil while still following the extended drain intervals set forth for Dexos1 oils and have an engine failure, good luck getting warranty to cover it.

Is it truly a better oil though? Doubt it, mainly marketing + licensing rights.

Halon 07-23-2014 02:06 PM

Yeah, Ford also moved to 5W-20, I'm assuming for environmental (MPG) reasons.

Kracka 07-23-2014 02:08 PM

So has Chevy in a lot of their mainstream 4-cylinders; not sure about the V6's. I think the V8's all still run 5W-30 though.

Kracka 07-23-2014 02:18 PM

I just discovered the stock ECU has no-lift-to-shift programming in it...must try this on the way home!

polishmafia 07-23-2014 02:43 PM

No lift to shift is awesome!

Starting with 2014, GM's 5.3 and 6.0 (or maybe its 6.2) require 0W20.

Halon 07-23-2014 03:06 PM

I hate that word require. Is it really required? Or is it just for fuel economy reasons and youd actually be fine (and better protected) with a 30wt?

Shane@DBPerformance 07-23-2014 03:13 PM

The GT500s use a 5w-50. Kind of an extreme range.

polishmafia 07-23-2014 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halon (Post 447625)
I hate that word require. Is it really required? Or is it just for fuel economy reasons and youd actually be fine (and better protected) with a 30wt?

It is required if you want to keep your warranty. If you blow the engine and they find out you didn't us the right oil, they can void the warranty.

Take what you will from that statement. :P