MitsuStyle

MitsuStyle (http://www.mitsustyle.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Parking Lot - On & Off Topic (http://www.mitsustyle.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Looking to buy a new vehicle, ext. warranty? rust protection? (http://www.mitsustyle.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35891)

turbotalon1g 09-08-2017 03:17 PM

Looking to buy a new vehicle, ext. warranty? rust protection?

Please help dudes, almost bought a truck today but i'm going to wait until Monday.

However, they were hitting me up for the warranty but it's an extra $3600 and the rust protection is an extra $531.

I thought it was a good idea, but after taking some time to think about it I think I should decline.

Can you help me decide/get educated?

Thanks

Kracka 09-08-2017 03:21 PM

Re: Looking to buy a new vehicle, ext. warranty? rust protection?

No & no. Waste of money. They'll profit more off that stuff than they will the entire vehicle. Chances are you won't own the new truck through the full factory warranty anyway, and even if you do, you can buy an extended warranty then if you deem it worthwhile. The rust protection is likely a jug of snake oil. Keep it waxed and do a decent carwash with underbody chassis spray every 1-2 weeks in the winter and you'll be fine. Rust/corrosion perforation is covered under warranty, and is typically fairly long coverage.

AwdGSX13 09-08-2017 03:29 PM

I second this, especially the auto armor and rust protection. Save your money. Those extended warranties most often don't cover everything and they also have a deductible that would apply.

x-pride 09-11-2017 09:03 AM

If you do decide to buy the warranty. You can always talk the price down on the warranty. Also from what I have learned from researching you can buy the warranty at other dealership at a cheaper price. You will not be able to finance the warranty with your loan though.

93gtpeater 09-11-2017 09:48 AM

I would skip getting the warranty.

For one it's a gm. That thing will run forever and forever.

Second if you keep the truck clean in the winter it shouldn't rust fast.

If your worried about rust go buy some undercoating and go under the truck and under coat all the known areas. Like the rockers and the rear wheel wells.

Goat Blower 09-11-2017 10:29 AM

It will rust, just not that quickly. Mine started at about 150k miles.

95tsi 09-16-2017 08:15 AM

When I was a service advisor at Ford I would never have thought I'd recommend extended warranties. But after seeing random things fail for no particular reason I changed my tune. My wife got a '16 Jeep and we got the lifetime Mopar warranty with it(really good friend was the finance guy so sweet pricing). I know everyone loves Ford's but I'm sure GM has just as many electronics on them a d they fail. If you plan to keep the truck for a long time I would suggest it. If you decide against it, you can sometimes sell the contract back and be prorated for it. Tough part is all the fun electronics fail at 37k and nothing covers. It always sucked seeing and dealing with people needing to fix something just out of warranty much better customer relations when it was covered by the extended warranty plus not direct from their Visa or checking account.

I do agree on the rust protection, even the recon guy said it hardly does anything worthwhile.

mark4g63t 09-16-2017 11:23 AM

Go Ford