MitsuStyle

MitsuStyle (http://www.mitsustyle.com/forums/index.php)
-   Turbo / Engine / Drivetrain (http://www.mitsustyle.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=91)
-   -   bad idea or terrible idea? (http://www.mitsustyle.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20296)

iceminion 08-04-2008 10:54 PM

bad idea or terrible idea?

1 Attachment(s)
in my never-ending quest to vent crank case gasses, this is what I have done: Drilled a hole in the side of the block, and attached a -10 AN line to the side of the block, this will go to a huge catch-can. Results after the first drive.

GsXtUrBo98 08-04-2008 11:00 PM

Re: bad idea or terrible idea?

I'm really leaning twards terrible idea.. only because I would never drill into the block, I would think that it would make it weaker and give way under pressure

badinblack 08-04-2008 11:06 PM

....It...might.work....??..

Kevin 1G Drummer 08-04-2008 11:15 PM

Good god kid... Where the hell do you come up with all these crazy ass ideas?? Massive drug influence?

Pushit2.0 08-04-2008 11:25 PM

If you post it I assume straight away its a bad idea. How about fixing the rings that are shot in your motor to eliminate some crank case pressure, or just buy a real vacuum pump?

~John

Shane@DBPerformance 08-04-2008 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pushit2.0 (Post 250794)
How about fixing the rings that are shot in your motor to eliminate some crank case pressure

The real fix!

Super Bleeder!! 08-04-2008 11:38 PM

Lawl

twack 08-05-2008 12:06 AM

Well it looks like its already leaking. and wouldnt this spit a lot of oil into the catchcan. Man how pissed are you going to be if that messes up your block

iceminion 08-05-2008 03:17 AM

the hole i drilled was in the balance shaft chamber, it was very thin, only about 3mm thick. the drips are weatherstripping adheasive.

On my buddy's turbo ford, there is a hole drilled in the aux shaft chamber similiar to where i drilled it on the 4g63. The turbo ford motor guy never has had a valve cover leak, and wonders why 4g63's dont have a crank case vent, only the head pressure relief vents.

should be installing the engine tonight!

311evo 08-05-2008 03:40 AM

judging by the idea and picture, terrible

iceminion 08-05-2008 04:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin_1G_Drummer (Post 250791)
Good god kid... Where the hell do you come up with all these crazy ass ideas?? Massive drug influence?

na, probably just the massive amount of undiagnosed PTSD that i got back in 'raq

iceminion 08-05-2008 04:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pushit2.0 (Post 250794)
If you post it I assume straight away its a bad idea. How about fixing the rings that are shot in your motor to eliminate some crank case pressure, or just buy a real vacuum pump?

~John

well, this engine was just rebuilt .20 over all machine work done by john gosh, rings staggered properly and last time we did a compression test, it was 200 across the board, your call

Halon 08-05-2008 07:50 AM

What symptoms are you seeing that are making you do all of this?

Our crankcase vents out the valve cover ports. If you have quite a bit of excess pressure, why not just add a second fitting to the valve cover like has been done time and time again? Or like has been mentioned, just hook up an actual vacuum pump.

Matt D. 08-05-2008 09:02 AM

I'm convinced that iceminion and Tom chat late at night and come up with these things and give eachother advice in general.

A//// Guy 08-05-2008 09:08 AM

Wow.. im not sure what to say. You must be bored and like to waste money.

niterydr 08-05-2008 09:11 AM

Wow, I am voting terrible idea.
Where is the vote button?

scheides 08-05-2008 09:11 AM

If you have good compression, why would you waste your time with this? There's a good chance your block will just crack around it, and in the end it really accomplishes nothing.

Good work though, come find me at the cookout and show me this mod, I want to pat you on the back for most-amazing-silly-overkill-pointless-but-well-attempted-and-humorously-executed-mod ever :)

Are those lines from Slowboy Racing? :P

iceminion 08-05-2008 09:41 AM

the engine was rebuilt, and then was used in my brother's laser which put down an estimated 350 whp (not bragging, just it was pushing some serious HP)

he was constantly plagued by oil leaking over everything, we tried every trick in the book to stop the oil seeping out of the top end, to no avail.

My brother decided to quit while he was ahead, parted his car, and bought a 2g. I grabbed his motor.

So, all I am doing is applying a feature common on other turbocharded cars.

I drilled the hold in a non-structeral location on the side of the block, I didnt drill through any major "webbing" in the casting.

Shane@DBPerformance 08-05-2008 10:02 AM

200psi of compression? Is it all-motor?

iceminion 08-05-2008 10:08 AM

we put 2G pistons in it, i think our compression tester is reading a little high honestly, but its pretty even across +-5 on the gauge.

Oh, and one more thing, before I did this, I asked John Gosh about drilling a hole in the block, i pointed to where I was going to drill it, and he thought it was a great idea.

Basically if John Gosh not only agrees with me, but calls it a good idea, im not really worried.

what I am worried about is still leaking oil after all of this. then I will have wasted my time with this mod.