MitsuStyle

MitsuStyle (http://www.mitsustyle.com/forums/index.php)
-   Project Talk (http://www.mitsustyle.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Mark's Evo IX MR Winter Projects (http://www.mitsustyle.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30685)

Mark Leasure 11-03-2011 11:34 AM

Mark's Evo IX MR Winter Projects

Well this should be one of the last remaining projects that I’m going to do on my car. My fleet is now complete to my satisfaction and I’m planning on going back to school for a masters degree. So I need to get this OCD car obsession out of my system!

Here is a little background on the car:

I purchased the car new in Aug 2005 from metro, it’s a graphite grey IX MR. I drove it at factory trim for almost 2 years. I told everyone that I bought new for reliability reasons and I needed a 100% factory driver car. Seemed like a harmless omission at the time. Until I saw Jim at one of the cookouts, he was making more than 350 WHP on DB’s dyno running E85 with just about everything factory except for exhaust and extra fuel capacity. My friends ripped me a new one once I started modding the car, as I took the motor out at 12K on the odometer! The car is now worked up to a 550-575WHP car, made something like 565 at map on a weak tune by me. I currently have an EF4 that I have been testing for MAP. The motor ended up blowing a head gasket and I needed to replace it. My thought was that I wanted more power out of the car since my stock block car red powered SE IX is making almost 500whp. There is not that much difference in feeling between the Evo’s. The Evos are close in power, compared to my ridiculous Talon. I want the MR to be somewhere in between the talon and the SE!
My clutch is also on its way out which is an Exeddy twin disc.

The cars current mods are:

· Manley turbo tuff rods
· JE pistons
· Balance shafts removed
· AMS oil pan
· Supertech springs and retainers
· Kelford 272’s, with the revised stronger intake cam
· FIC 1350’s
· Full blown twin pump hanger
· A1000 fuel pressure regulator
· MAP 3” o2 eliminator dump
· MAP long tubular header
· 3” exhaust
· ETS 4” intercooler
· 2.5” lower IC pipe
· Injen upper intercooler pipe and intake
· Sparktech COP Ignition

On to my project
I’m going to perform the following:

· Magnus V5 manifold
· Boomba 75mm tb
· 1680 or 2150 hi z injectors
· H11 head studs
· Make my own 3” IC piping and 4” intake
· Small battery kit
· Swap the 6 speed for a 5 Speed, ultimate ratio build with 4.11 final drive
· Rework some items on the xfer case, upgrade front diff and 8-10mm bolt swap.
· Rebuild the clutch
· Stroke the motor, bore and install Wiesco HD pistons with an OEM 100mm crank, map machining
· Tial BOV
· Convert to SD, omni 4 bar map.
· Anodize all the aluminum fabricated parts black?
· Ect…

My goal is to be around the 650+ WHP range with the car, at least. I’ll update with pictures as I go.

Murlo26 11-03-2011 11:54 AM

Re: Mark's Evo IX MR Winter Projects

WOW, in for this build!

Awesome looking project Mark. Good luck.

95talonracer 11-03-2011 12:07 PM

:c9598f74: Can't wait to see you start this one.

turbotalon1g 11-03-2011 12:31 PM

so this is gonna be the daily still?

I want the same thing for my garage one day, but this sounds like a lot of work..

scheides 11-03-2011 12:57 PM

LOL, this is why I love you man! Minor bullet point:

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkLeasure
Stroke the motor, bore and install Wiesco HD pistons with an OEM 100mm crank, map machining

Sounds like a great combo! What compression pistons will you use?

Mark Leasure 11-03-2011 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by turbotalon1g (Post 395179)
so this is gonna be the daily still?

I want the same thing for my garage one day, but this sounds like a lot of work..

Yep it will be the summer daily car!

Quote:

Originally Posted by scheides (Post 395181)
LOL, this is why I love you man! Minor bullet point:

Sounds like a great combo! What compression pistons will you use?

Ah, I've got my moments.....

9:1, I like the idea of lower compression vs. high. Fill up the chamber with intercooled boost instead of squeezing it harder.

Mark Leasure 11-03-2011 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 95talonracer (Post 395178)
:c9598f74: Can't wait to see you start this one.

So corny, how's the Supra?

Here is your pic. This is my project starting point, dyno from this summer.

http://i412.photobucket.com/albums/p...F42_0Mivec.jpg

goodhart 11-03-2011 06:18 PM

Wow. This thing should rip!

Good call on the 5 speed swap and getting rid of the Injen junk also

CornFed2.4 11-03-2011 08:05 PM

560 is the starting point! Thats where most guys finish. AWESOME!

Mark Leasure 11-13-2011 03:54 PM

I decided to ditch the factory ECU, I purchased an AEM EMS series 1! It’s a new AEM EMS for $599 on Ebay from AEM with the full warranty. AEM is blowing out their old series one ECU's! I have one in my talon so I'm familiar with the tuning.

I decided that I'm going with a HTA86 with a .82 hotside. I will be selling all of the components of my current setup, MAP long tube header, MAP EF4, and a MAP 3" down pipe/O2 eliminator. This is going to be an awesome winter!

scheides 11-13-2011 08:30 PM

Goddamn this car is going to be epic. Boo on ditching the OEM ECU but you seem to have a handle on AEM so all good ;)

turbotalon1g 11-13-2011 08:58 PM

Very nice.

v8klla 11-14-2011 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Leasure (Post 395638)
I decided to ditch the factory ECU, I purchased an AEM EMS series 1! It’s a new AEM EMS for $599 on Ebay from AEM with the full warranty. AEM is blowing out their old series one ECU's! I have one in my talon so I'm familiar with the tuning.

I decided that I'm going with a HTA86 with a .82 hotside. I will be selling all of the components of my current setup, MAP long tube header, MAP EF4, and a MAP 3" down pipe/O2 eliminator. This is going to be an awesome winter!

Not only moving out of our turbo but moving into an FP unit :( I'll give you a PTE turbo at cost just to keep you out of anything by FP lol.

turbotalon1g 11-14-2011 12:53 PM

EF5 please.

Mark Leasure 11-14-2011 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by v8klla (Post 395686)
Not only moving out of our turbo but moving into an FP unit :( I'll give you a PTE turbo at cost just to keep you out of anything by FP lol.

Yea, I just recently decided to go to a full T3 style turbo. Nothing against your turbo offering, I definitely liked the EF4 and it was fun participating in the early testing. My goals have changed.

As for the turbo choice I may just take you up on that offer for a BB6266?? I need to perform more research on spool vs. HP capability/stability. Hopefully the 6266 bridges the gap between the 6262 and the 6766. That is the only reason I was picking the hta86.

v8klla 11-15-2011 10:10 AM

It certainly should, you know where to find me ;)

Mark Leasure 11-22-2011 06:38 PM

Some new pictures.

A week or two ago:

http://i412.photobucket.com/albums/p...E/IMAG0040.jpg

Pulled the motor yesterday:

http://i412.photobucket.com/albums/p...E/IMAG0049.jpg

Today:

http://i412.photobucket.com/albums/p...E/IMAG0050.jpg

I dropped off the block at MAP and put a build plan in place with Chris and Kyle on the motor and the turbo/manifold. Thanks guys! 700 WHP should be easily attainable.

Goat Blower 11-22-2011 06:46 PM

Looks nice. Although I wouldn't walk away from the higher compression idea just yet. Those 10.5:1's I had with the 2.4 amounted to one very fun street car. :)

scheides 11-22-2011 08:07 PM

Woohoo! Keep us updated man!

badinblack 11-23-2011 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goat Blower (Post 396089)
Looks nice. Although I wouldn't walk away from the higher compression idea just yet. Those 10.5:1's I had with the 2.4 amounted to one very fun street car. :)

I see your point but I see the point of going lower comp as well. At that power level he can have a motor that he wants to drive around that wont be so high strung all the time with a lower compression piston.

Just a thought.