MitsuStyle

MitsuStyle (http://www.mitsustyle.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Parking Lot - On & Off Topic (http://www.mitsustyle.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   House Projects (http://www.mitsustyle.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15963)

Halon 06-17-2007 12:02 PM

House Projects

4 Attachment(s)
Hey just starting this up, wondering who else has ever remodeled anything in their home, and has pics of it. I took all of next week off from work because I'll be slaving away here at home, redoing the small lower bedroom of my house. Just bought about 90% of the stuff I'll need from Home Depot yesterday, and will be starting the reconstruction ASAP. Here's some before shots.

The bathroom will be getting knock-down sprayed on the ceiling. Then the floor will be ceramic tiled, and ceramic tile going up the wall a couple feet as well. New Sink will be going in. All the trim is going to be painted white. The walls will painted a forest green/grey type color.

The bedroom ceiling is fine so I'm not touching it. All of the trim will be painted white. The floor will be the Dupont hardwood laminate flooring. The walls will be painted either in the same color the bathroom will be, or a deep tan color.

This is my first project with this house, so we'll see how it turns out. Once this is done, there is definately more the house needs, so the projects will continue on!

Halon 06-17-2007 02:59 PM

Re: House Projects

2 Attachment(s)
Well just finished doing the ceiling. I'll paint it later, but got the knock down applied! Yaay!

Jana 06-17-2007 08:11 PM

Looks like a good start - can't wait to see it when it's done!!!

I'd love to re-do some things in our town home, but I'd rather move so I'm closer to work right now...

A//// Guy 06-17-2007 09:16 PM

Nice!! I like projects like that, between our cabin and my parents house I have alot of hours into home remodeling. haha Have fun and if you need any help just lemme know!

92EvilTalon 06-17-2007 10:38 PM

Sweet love the colors you picked. Not much in the remodeling yet. But I have repainted all but one room in the house. Because the laundry room needs to be remodeled. That is going to be alot of work. New subfloor and floor. Redo most of the water pipes and drain. And maybe run most of the new wireing too.

JET 06-17-2007 11:00 PM

Good idea Brandon. I should get some pic's of our progress. We are doing a bunch of landscaping outside right now. We have the new laminate flooring for the whole upper floor, are redoing the bathroom, changed all the light fixtures and are doing a bunch more. Now that I think about it I will definitely get some pic's, it will be cool to see the before and after pics!

turbotalon1g 06-18-2007 09:06 AM

I don't plan on doing too much this year, still have to furnish the place, but i think that i will start with painting every room, this white matte paint sucks, its picks up every little spec of dirt.

Halon 06-18-2007 08:10 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Got started on the bathroom floor tile.

Halon 06-20-2007 01:48 AM

2 Attachment(s)
The floor is still about 95% completely tiled. Got the walls about 95% completely tiled today. Waiting to finish off the walls until I get the new vanity in there. Progress is a good thing! Tomorrow I hope to get the vanity in and finish up the wall tile. Also hope to get our notcher in there to notch out part of the door trim. Then we should be able to finish up the floor tile as well. Then begin on grouting it all in. If time permits, I will put the first coat of white paint on the ceiling. I'll also try to go to the store and get the forest greet paint for the bathroom walls, but I doubt I'll get a coat on the walls tomorrow.

One thing I'd do different if I could go back, is I would have gone one tile higher on the walls. We thought that height looked pretty decent, but once we got done, we noticed that it went to almost the exact height as the light switch, so there will be a gap on the top of the light switch cover plate, DOH! Lesson learned for next time! We're trying to figure out what we can to so it doesn't look goofy, any thoughts?

92EvilTalon 06-20-2007 05:33 AM

Are you going to do a wood trim above the tile? If so I think it will look fine. If not then just leave it... Get a nice looking plate from the home center. Or do a border like I said. To me it looks fine. But granted the box looks like it lined up with the tile pattern anyways.

A//// Guy 06-20-2007 08:55 AM

Good work!! Hmm im not sure what you could do with that light switch. They do make smaller covers than the standard. You could see if that would work.

Halon 06-20-2007 11:51 AM

No there is no wood border. IT was just going to be tile up the wall, then paint. But ya the light switch cover is going to stick out. But I think maybe what I can do, is when I put on the grout, I can just grout around the light switch cover as well, but take off the cover so the grout doesn't stick to the cover. Then let it dry, then that'll just be what the light cover seals up against.

92EvilTalon 06-20-2007 12:01 PM

That does not sound like a bad idea. But from the one photo...the cover wont stick up that high. But then again like I said I can barely tell in the photo. Like Peter said see if you can get a smaller cover. I have seen the grouting around the cover before. Also I seen people place some tile up a little around the box. So if you have some left over tile. See if you can go up around there.

Halon 06-20-2007 12:04 PM

Well the tile was supposed to go above the box, but I was doing the other wall, and my cousin was doing that wall. And so I didn't notice until the end. There is NO tile above the box, so no matter what, the light swith cover will not sit flush against anything on the top, because there is a 1/4" gap between the wall and the cover.

rst95eclipse 06-21-2007 02:11 AM

Tile job looks good. Straightness = success

Halon 06-23-2007 12:04 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Tile is 100% complete. Finished about 90% of the grouting tonight, shoulda been uptown :( But I'm pretty happy with it. We couldn't grout a few spots because we had just installed that tile earlier, so when it's dried up tomorrow morning, I will finish that up. Then we can seal the grouting. We also got the new vanity from my mom (thanks mom!) but it had a hole cut in the visible side, so we went and bought a new piece of Melamine and replaced the side of the vanity. Cost me 10 bucks, not too bad of a price for a vanity I'd say!

Anywho, it's starting to look like a bathroom. Once the grout is all sealed, then we'll install the vanity and the toilet. Then paint the walls and the ceiling and the trim, and then time to move on to the bedroom!

Still haven't figured out the color to paint the bathroom. I've heard some people say the forest/olive green isn't good for this small of a room. Anyone have any input? The vanity will be white. Medicine cabinet will be white. So what color for the walls?

Halon 06-23-2007 12:23 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a picture of the color I was thinking of for the bathroom. This specific color is from Benjamin Moore, called Liberty Park. Just a nice lighter olive/forest green, but with a greyish look to it as well. Any comments?

92EvilTalon 06-23-2007 12:31 AM

It will keep the room light. After seeing how small that bathroom is the Forest Green would of darken the room a little. Go with that color. The Liberty Park....

Halon 06-24-2007 09:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Everyday, it gets just a little closer to being finished .

Jana 06-25-2007 07:50 AM

I'd say any color would be nice, just keep it a light shade. The green you posted looked good I thought. Are you still working on the bedroom too that you originally posted?