MitsuStyle

MitsuStyle (http://www.mitsustyle.com/forums/index.php)
-   Project Talk (http://www.mitsustyle.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   311evo's ev-oh (http://www.mitsustyle.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27992)

311evo 09-26-2010 04:33 AM

311evo's ev-oh

I'm a bit a late on making this thread I guess, but this should about wrap it up for now. With any updates in the future.

The Beginning;

In April I was drilling out a broken turbo stud when a drill bit must have snapped and a chunk flew into the head (even though we had the ports covered). Needless to say, it pretty much did work on everything.

Towed the car to DB, talked with shane for a bit, and made this plan.

(previous was stock motor, stock IX turbo, e85, and 336hp.)

New set-up;

Short block
Manley Platinum 9:1 pistons (20 over)
Manley I-beam "turbo tuff" rods
Balance shaft removal
Stock crank.

Head
L19 Head studs
Supertech 1mm over Intake valves
Supertech dual valve springs
DB Stage 3 Head porting
GSC S3 cams

Fuel
Walbro 255 (already been in car for.. 40k miles)
Boost-a-pump (40amp)
FIC Bluemax 1450's
e85

Turbo/Intercooler etc
FP Black (thanks Trevor!)
eBay special Exhaust manifold.
Perrin knock off intercooler (already had it, "OBX" brand)
Tial bov. (Thanks Tom!)
Short rout piping. (already had)
DBperformance MBC.

Misc.
Speed Density Conversion
Emissions crap gone
ACT 6-puck sprung disc (already had PP)
Shane.

After a few months, I got to pick up the car and do some break in. I was super impressed with how smooth the car drove consider the recent mods. I think a little credit goes to Speed Density, and a LOT of credit goes to Shane.

After I got 4XX miles on it I went back for the final tune, here's how the night went down;

1st pull, BP-style oil leak from the dipstick hole. (dipstick landed on the floor about 4-5 feet away from the car I think.)

A good amount of pulls later, I hit 449 and it appeared I was running out of fuel. (almost 13:1 toward redline) I was pretty okay with this, it's only a SINGLE 255. Nope, Boost a pump wasn't working. Next pull we had TONS of fuel.

A good amount of pulls later, we had hit 501, then 516. Again it seemed we were running out of fuel on the top end. We decided to mod the fuel pump.

A few pulls later, running 36psi(peak), and solid safe AFR's we hit 529 and decided to call it a night. I was super pumped!!

The car is now super fun to drive. I love it, it's solid. Very well put together by DB Performance. Shane, Danny, and the rest of the crew do one helluva job. Videos, and graphs to follow.

529hp pull on the dyno;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbGb2bcRnJ0&hd=1

Video of boost gauge on the street.
(Scheides recorded it, and I believed pulled his groin trying to hold up the camera. Tehe, hope he's feeling alright!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07CKtcDiw70&hd=1

Dyno graphs:

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m...IMG_0956-1.jpg

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m...IMG_0957-1.jpg

I *really* want to get another BCS so we can try and hold a bit more up top, there seems to be more power waiting up there.
http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m...IMG_0958-1.jpg

Shootout
http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m...IMG_0960-1.jpg

Next thing to take care of, bad master cylinder.

mlomker 09-26-2010 05:08 AM

Re: 311evo's ev-oh

Quote:

Originally Posted by 311evo (Post 359066)
1st pull, BP-style oil leak from the dipstick hole. (dipstick landed on the floor about 4-5 feet away from the car I think.)

rofl. Evos love lubing that dyno.

Quite the beast. What is your rev limiter at?

311evo 09-26-2010 05:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlomker (Post 359067)
rofl. Evos love lubing that dyno.

Quite the beast. What is your rev limiter at?

Haha yeah, it's at 9,000.

turbotalon1g 09-26-2010 08:33 AM

Fuck, those are some big cams, well used to be.

Congrats, I'd love to get a ride sometime.

scheides 09-26-2010 08:48 AM

Haha, I was basically cuddling Jake from the passenger seat to get the camera over to the boost gauge; he said it went to at least the first 'o' in 'boost' and I told him we had to video it! I think it was on the 3rd or 4th 2-3-4 rip that I specifically remember my groin screaming for pain just after the 2-3 shift. I think I'll survive though :D

This car just plain surprising to me. Jake let me take it for a few rips (so he could feel what it from the passenger seat, so he says!) near my house and I gotta say the car actually is quite pleasant to drive around city streets; idk if its the 9:1 pistons or better tune or speed density or what but even with the black (felt a tish doggy on trevor's car) and the big-bad GSC S3 cams the car actually made decent torque off-boost. This is a big high-five all around, kinda changes my perspective a bit on 'bigger' turbo setups.

Powerband, the car just does not stop. Naturally you kinda want to shift around 7k but just like my X, hang onto the gear and the mofo just wants to keep revving! 2nd gear to just over 8000 and the car is like a murderous jet-powered go-kart and then grab third and fourth and it turns into a murderous jet-powered freight train. The powerband to 9k is huge, 4000rpms of power solid. This is generally what to look for on the smaller turbo setups, how long the car is over 300wtq. Once you're up in the powerband the car does not feel 'laggy' at all.

Only thing now with this car is sorting out the shifting. Clutch holds power with ease but the clutch pedal was locking up and the shifter feels a little vague. We pulled inspection holes on the trans and bled it to make sure everything was ok (it was!) so we went over some plans for sorting this stuff and for now Jake can just have his car and enjoy it!

Mega high-five to DB and Jake/311evo on this build. Considering all the little things/parts that could be improved upon the thing is just a beast. With Jake behind the wheel this thing is gonna do work at the track!

Swifty1638 09-26-2010 09:31 AM

Sorry I couldn't make it yesterday to help diagnose the car. I ended up being stuck with a front brake job instead at home. Either way, congrats Jake on the new found power, and having your car back. Go rape all those newbs out in BFE, and try not to lose ;)

cmspaz 09-26-2010 10:15 AM

This car is a fucking rip. The thing Scheides neglected to mention is that while everyone else was watching the boost gauge I was watching the speedo... 80 in second gear, son!

I'm super happy for Jake, it's great to see something like this come out of that huge "oh shit" moment this past spring.

At-Least-It's-An-Evo 09-26-2010 10:28 AM

Sweet.

goodhart 09-26-2010 10:30 AM

Damn. Wish I would have had time to make it over to Scheides' house yesterday ;(

Car looks awesome though man, I loved getting updates from Kody while you were on the dyno haha

rose0529 09-26-2010 10:35 AM

Looking good man! Glad to see this car back on the road again!

FattyBoomBatty 09-26-2010 10:53 AM

Nice power. And a single walbro to boot! Makes me reconsider upgrading as the only way.

Murlo26 09-26-2010 11:21 AM

I want a ride now :)

Halon 09-26-2010 12:26 PM

That's some serious power! That is still in a stock "framed" turbo right? Insane!

awd-drifter 09-26-2010 12:27 PM

snaps that is insane.

311evo 09-26-2010 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scheides (Post 359072)
Only thing now with this car is sorting out the shifting. Clutch holds power with ease but the clutch pedal was locking up and the shifter feels a little vague. We pulled inspection holes on the trans and bled it to make sure everything was ok (it was!) so we went over some plans for sorting this stuff and for now Jake can just have his car and enjoy it!

Mega high-five to DB and Jake/311evo on this build. Considering all the little things/parts that could be improved upon the thing is just a beast. With Jake behind the wheel this thing is gonna do work at the track!

Thanks man! It was fun riding in the passenger seat for a change. There are a bunch of random things that I could upgrade with better quality. I bet with a new exhaust manifold, intake manifold, TB, and BCS we could hit 550. That would be fun! :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by goodhart (Post 359079)
Damn. Wish I would have had time to make it over to Scheides' house yesterday ;(

Car looks awesome though man, I loved getting updates from Kody while you were on the dyno haha

I'll get you a ride sometime soon, I wanna check out your new evo too!

Quote:

Originally Posted by FattyBoomBatty (Post 359081)
Nice power. And a single walbro to boot! Makes me reconsider upgrading as the only way.

That might be what I'm most proud of. A single 255. Everyone is so quick do get dual set ups and other stuff, spending $500+ on more complicated pumps/mounts/tanks etc. That wasn't the rout I wanted to go, and this power was a surprise to me as far as fuel goes. I have to give DB credit for working some magic with it as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halon (Post 359091)
That's some serious power! That is still in a stock "framed" turbo right? Insane!

Haha, thanks! and yup! Stock frame's have really come a long way in the evo world and it's great. Both FP and CBRD make awesome stock frames. There's no longer a need to go with aftermarket set-ups unless you're shooting for 600+

Kevin 1G Drummer 09-26-2010 02:05 PM

Holy shit dude! This thing has come a super long way since I polished your tail lights for you. I need a ride in this beast!

FattyBoomBatty 09-26-2010 03:07 PM

What were your injector duty cycles with the 1450's? Also, how much fuel pressure do you have, if you know?

311evo 09-26-2010 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin 1G Drummer (Post 359103)
Holy shit dude! This thing has come a super long way since I polished your tail lights for you. I need a ride in this beast!

Haha, for sure! I don't have those tails anymore. They were a bit dark. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by FattyBoomBatty (Post 359105)
What were your injector duty cycles with the 1450's? Also, how much fuel pressure do you have, if you know?

I honestly dont know the answer to either of those questions, lol. Maybe Shane will hop in here, or I can try and get my logging cable working so I can see the IDC's.

FattyBoomBatty 09-26-2010 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 311evo (Post 359106)
I honestly dont know the answer to either of those questions, lol. Maybe Shane will hop in here, or I can try and get my logging cable working so I can see the IDC's.

For shame! I was all excited for the dirty specs!

Kevin 1G Drummer 09-26-2010 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 311evo (Post 359106)
Haha, for sure! I don't have those tails anymore. They were a bit dark. :).

Not to mention a little melty. haha