MitsuStyle

MitsuStyle (http://www.mitsustyle.com/forums/index.php)
-   Turbo / Engine / Drivetrain (http://www.mitsustyle.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=91)
-   -   Good news for Evo X GSR owners - CMC RECALL! (http://www.mitsustyle.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33747)

Kracka 10-24-2013 07:58 AM

Good news for Evo X GSR owners - CMC RECALL!

Quote:

Date: 10/23/2013

To: All US and Puerto Rico Mitsubishi Motors Dealerships

Subject: Upcoming Safety Recall Affecting Certain 2008 - 2013 Lancer Evolution – Clutch Master Cylinder

On September 18, 2013, MMNA submitted to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) a Defect Information Report regarding certain 2008 - 2013 Lancer Evolution vehicles built from December 12, 2007 – March 5, 2013. Due to an insufficient bonding strength of clutch master cylinder components, separation may occur, resulting in fluid leakage. This condition results in the inability to engage or disengage the clutch, limits the ability to shift the transmission into or out of a gear, and can create a no start condition once the vehicle comes to a stop.

In November, you will receive a formal/official dealer notification from MMNA regarding the above safety recall. You are receiving this advance, informal letter because:

1. NHTSA will announce the recall on their website shortly after receipt of our Defect Information Report, and MMNA wants to assist you in handling any customer inquiries you may receive regarding this recall.

In the event you receive any direct customer inquiries regarding this issue, please feel free as necessary to refer them to the MMNA Customer Relations Hotline at (888) 648-7820. We appreciate your patience while we make the necessary preparations to launch this recall.

Sincerely,

Mitsubishi Motors North America, Inc.

http://forums.evolutionm.net/evo-x-g...ns-evo-xs.html

Kracka 10-24-2013 07:59 AM

Re: Good news for Evo X GSR owners!

Looks like those of us still on the stock plastic CMC may be getting a new, stronger, unit for free :)

evotuner 10-24-2013 08:04 AM

Re: Good news for Evo X GSR owners - CMC RECALL!

Nice, feel bad for guys who spent a pretty penny on an upgraded one, but you cant always wait for Mitsu lol

goodhart 10-24-2013 09:45 AM

About damn time

scheides 10-24-2013 10:55 AM

Yaay! Mine is still holding strong, 55,500 miles.

simulatedwood 10-24-2013 10:58 AM

Damnit ! I had to replace mine this summer with a ix cmc and then this comes out.. doah!

Kracka 10-24-2013 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scheides (Post 437601)
Yaay! Mine is still holding strong, 55,500 miles.

66k miles here!

Kracka 10-24-2013 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by simulatedwood (Post 437602)
Damnit ! I had to replace mine this summer with a ix cmc and then this comes out.. doah!

Yours finally let go? Exedy Twin?

simulatedwood 10-24-2013 12:17 PM

Yeah, one day it just split in 2 right at the seam, that was @ 12000 miles on the twin clutch, honestly though it probably would have let go on a the stock clutch as well. My car sees a ton of heat from track miles so the plastic does get brittle.

Murlo26 10-25-2013 01:16 AM

:(

4 CMC setups later...and now this! Argh. Few thousand down the drain, nbd.

Kracka 10-25-2013 07:46 AM

Damn! Which have you all tried? All three versions of the shitty billet SSP before switching to the AMS/Magnus/MAP w/IX CMC design?

Murlo26 10-25-2013 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kracka (Post 437618)
Damn! Which have you all tried? All three versions of the shitty billet SSP before switching to the AMS/Magnus/MAP w/IX CMC design?

Well, SSP took my car to south/north dakota (can't remember) to design their first CMC.

After that they gave me a free rev 1. I put that on with my first ACT 6 puck (still stock motor). then the motor blew up, so I switched out to the rev2 despite having no issues with rev1 from what I heard. Then shortly after that failed and I replaced it with another rev2. Then that failed again so I bought Mlomkers magnus kit and DB that in, however their vendor gave them an OEM replacement evo 8/9 one not a legit one so that failed too. Then I took upon myself to install a new 8/9 one on my magus (worst install ever lol) and since then it has been good.

So the following:

1. stock
2. rev1 ssp
3. rev2 ssp
4. rev2 ssp
5. magnus
6. another magnus

Man, i went through more than i remembered after I started going through it chronologically haha.

Moral of the story, stay with the stock one I guess, that never gave me issues.

Kracka 10-25-2013 10:02 AM

What a headache!

Murlo26 10-25-2013 10:03 AM

You have no idea.

That doesn't include the tow bills either for getting stranded several times.

goodhart 10-25-2013 10:07 AM

lol good old murlo, fixin what aint broke haha ;)

Murlo26 10-25-2013 10:10 AM

I went for the preemptive strike, failed miserably.

goodhart 10-25-2013 10:11 AM

ha, it happens

Kracka 10-25-2013 10:27 AM

Yeah, I made that same mistake on my IX regarding something else.

Kracka 11-04-2013 07:59 AM

Got my recall notice in the mail last Friday. I'm honestly not too concerned about it though, and since I just flushed my brake/clutch fluid 2 months ago I might hold off and just wait.

Kracka 11-06-2013 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sabastian458
Just received 2 recall parts in, one is already being installed and 1 is open. If you are in the Upstate SC area, PM me and I can check to see if your vehicle has the open recall.

Just a heads up, MMNA is request pictures of the calipers before repairs to be completed, I assume to verify condition of the calipers before the brake fluid flushing incase someone attempts to get faded calipers covered.

Repairs is stated to take 3.5 hours, but figure 4-5 hours. (not all dealers have the powered vacuum pump, but just a hand pump) You get the new master cylinder and a full fluid flush.

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...a049179863.jpg
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...9db51d96f2.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by sabastian458
The recall requires the use of MMNA DOT 3 fluid, PN MZ311987. However, if you talk nicely to the service rep, you maybe able to work something out....

Free brake fluid flush, can't beat that. Hopefully Don Herring & WB Mitsu lets us supply our own fluid :)