MitsuStyle

MitsuStyle (http://www.mitsustyle.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Parking Lot - On & Off Topic (http://www.mitsustyle.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   House Projects (http://www.mitsustyle.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15963)

428gt 09-16-2010 09:01 PM

Re: House Projects

Quote:

Originally Posted by slowbubblecar (Post 358044)
Nice work. Also, you need to pound metal plates over the studs where the wiring goes through (there are plates made for it). .

You only need nail plates where the there is less than 1.25" from the edge of the bored hole and the face of the stud...usually as long as you are somewhat centered in a 2x4 stud (or more towards the wall) using a 7/8" bit you are just fine.

slowbubblecar 09-16-2010 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 428gt (Post 358048)
You only need nail plates where the there is less than 1.25" from the edge of the bored hole and the face of the stud...usually as long as you are somewhat centered in a 2x4 stud (or more towards the wall) using a 7/8" bit you are just fine.

I usually do it regardless to show the inspectors I am not trying to take short cuts and because you can buy them for cheap.

rose0529 09-17-2010 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 428gt (Post 358042)
If it is to code, why are there still wires hanging below the trusses? :)

They are all nailed into place with clips now, we just hadn't gotten there before the picture was taken.

Quote:

Originally Posted by slowbubblecar (Post 358044)
Nice work. Also, you need to pound metal plates over the studs where the wiring goes through (there are plates made for it). For the walls, I would have probably just used poly for a vapor barrier and used standard R13. The stuff you used is primarily used for exteriors under the siding.

Thanks, I'll have to pick up some metal plates
I used that method of insulation cuz it's what was recommened to me.

The walls are all framed up, the wire is all wire'd, surround sound is wired in. I ran the cable from the garage to the attic, and found a way to the basement last night. Have a couple little things to finish up and and will be drywalling this weekend.

scheides 09-17-2010 10:38 AM

Haha! That was the job we gave to the girls. They must have spent four hours nailing in those damn plastic/nailed tiedowns! Was great to see them helping though :)

98gstaherns 09-17-2010 10:51 AM

Thats some nice work guys! So when I buy my place and in minnesota you guys wanna help we do my bar and basment? lol

428gt 09-17-2010 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slowbubblecar (Post 358055)
I usually do it regardless to show the inspectors I am not trying to take short cuts and because you can buy them for cheap.

Most inspectors would probably look even closer if they saw that many nailplates:lol: They'd probably actually start looking closely in boxes even.

s1ngletracker 09-20-2010 06:25 AM

what is that insulation rated?

rose0529 09-20-2010 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by s1ngletracker (Post 358363)
what is that insulation rated?

The foam its self is R5 i think, but with the air gap in behind it and the drywall it works out to R11 or R13 cant remember which. Might have been nice to have a little more, but going from nothing this should be a huge inprovment!

Here is the update, Got all the wiring finished and those little metal plates on.

Got the ceiling insulated to help cut down on noise transfer between levels, and then installed most of the drywall. the ceiling is done (thanks to Rachael's Dad, was nice to have a 3rd person) and about 90% of the walls (thanks for the help Anna and Scheides!). on little wall left and then just some little pieces around and between closets and doors. Gonna get that finished up and get started on tape and mudd this week. Its so close!

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4083/...c2b10378bf.jpg

scheides 09-21-2010 10:32 AM

After talking about how much he loved doing drywall, Matt D. showed up for none of it! Anna and Rach carried in half the drywall while rosey and I murdered a few boxes of screws.

Matt D. 09-21-2010 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scheides (Post 358503)
After talking about how much he loved doing drywall, Matt D. showed up for none of it! Anna and Rach carried in half the drywall while rosey and I murdered a few boxes of screws.

Jackass, you knew I was going to be gone all weekend. :)

scheides 09-21-2010 10:47 AM

Hey we gotta give you some flack for pu$$ying out! :)

Seriously though I had no idea we'd be this far along this quickly with this project...me helping here and there turned into every other day and bam! It's nearly done already!

A//// Guy 09-21-2010 10:50 AM

Lookin good! Cant wait to have a house project of my own. Maybe sooner than later! wooo

Matt D. 09-21-2010 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scheides (Post 358506)

Haha, I was totally looking forward to helping then he's like, "Oh, we're doing it this weekend when you'll be gone." Thanks! Pussying out my ass, I played enough golf and drank enough booze for everyone!

turbotalon1g 09-21-2010 11:12 AM

Looks good, i didn't take pics of my little projects. :O(

When u think it will be done?

rose0529 09-21-2010 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scheides (Post 358506)

Seriously though I had no idea we'd be this far along this quickly with this project...me helping here and there turned into every other day and bam! It's nearly done already!

Haha yeah we like to move fast. Thanks for helping so much! We owe both you two and Matt big time for all the help!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt D. (Post 358508)
Haha, I was totally looking forward to helping then he's like, "Oh, we're doing it this weekend when you'll be gone." Thanks! Pussying out my ass, I played enough golf and drank enough booze for everyone!

Haha sorry, but it was an open weekend couldnt pass it up! We'll have lots of tape, mudd and sanding help need here soon!

rose0529 09-21-2010 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by turbotalon1g (Post 358510)
Looks good, i didn't take pics of my little projects. :O(

When u think it will be done?

Couple weeks hopefully, need to tape, mudd and sand. Then its easy stuff like painting, trim and then get some carpet down there.

rose0529 10-25-2010 02:01 PM

The mudd at tape took longer than we had hoped... mostly due to it sucking and loss of motivation to sand! But we got it primed and the first coat of paint up on the walls and 2 coats on the ceiling! The ceiling paint that starts pink and drys white is very nice, much easier to keep track of what has been painted! We are going to figure out carpet this week hopefully so it should be finished up here soon!....

http://www.mitsustyle.com/photopost/...m/SSPX0349.jpg

Halon 10-25-2010 02:22 PM

Lookin great man!

A//// Guy 10-25-2010 03:07 PM

Good progress!

Matt D. 10-25-2010 03:53 PM

That looks awesome. Glad I could help you two get that far.