MitsuStyle

MitsuStyle (http://www.mitsustyle.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Parking Lot - On & Off Topic (http://www.mitsustyle.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Degreeing Cams (http://www.mitsustyle.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35939)

mark4g63t 02-25-2018 10:07 AM

Degreeing Cams

Hey guys, thinking about buying a set of adjustable cam gears for my Talon since its got Comp 272's in it.
Ever since I went from the stock block to my built block it has no lope and pulling -20 of vacuum where as before they pulled around -12 and loped very agressivly.
Thinking they need to be degreed, anyone else agree or disagree?
Who has degreed cams before?
Looking for some guidance/ help.
Hoping to get a tune date for Early April.

MorningWood 02-25-2018 02:45 PM

Re: Degreeing Cams

Did you get tuned on the built block a lot of times a tune can help minimize the lope so that may be why, The more vacuum it pulls the better it will idle and die less frequently so its not necessarily a bad thing

mark4g63t 02-25-2018 04:36 PM

Just a remote tune done on it for idle and wastegate pressure .

DSMINMN 02-26-2018 12:41 AM

Almost sounds as if you're looking for lope.

asshanson 02-26-2018 01:08 AM

Did you go up in displacement with the new block?
In general, I’d say if you’re not looking for every last hp, probably not worth it for the cost of the cams gears and the time or cost of degreeing them. I had adjustable gears and never got around to doing it. From what I gather you degree them for a range, like if you want more top or mid range. I’d leave them strait up aka no cam gears for a non dedicated track car. My .02c

C3L1CA 02-26-2018 07:12 AM

I degree'd a set of motorcycle cams last winter and was pretty time consuming for somebody that has never degree'd cams before. You can get a degree wheel, harbor freights clamping dial indicator and make a piston stop pretty cheap and shouldn't really need anything else that you wouldn't have around the garage.

I'd ask your tuner though before and see what he think it would be worth and it what he recommends. I'm pretty sure I remember the 4g63 motor being interference so you'd want to be sure too that whatever you degree your cams to that you have enough piston to valve clearance as well.

Goat Blower 02-26-2018 07:59 AM

Strange, adding a built block shouldn't change much on your cams unless you went with a stroker. I'd add adjustable cam gears if you really want lope and just advance the intake cam a few degrees IIRC.

mark4g63t 02-26-2018 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DSMINMN (Post 464920)
Almost sounds as if you're looking for lope.

Not looking for lope necessarily, just found it weird and wanted to make sure everything is sound before proceeding forward with how much money I have into this block.

Quote:

Originally Posted by asshanson (Post 464921)
Did you go up in displacement with the new block?
In general, I’d say if you’re not looking for every last hp, probably not worth it for the cost of the cams gears and the time or cost of degreeing them. I had adjustable gears and never got around to doing it. From what I gather you degree them for a range, like if you want more top or mid range. I’d leave them strait up aka no cam gears for a non dedicated track car. My .02c

Only changes were from a .020 over 8.5:1 stock piston block to a .040 10:1 block with forged internals.

mark4g63t 02-28-2018 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C3L1CA (Post 464922)
I degree'd a set of motorcycle cams last winter and was pretty time consuming for somebody that has never degree'd cams before. You can get a degree wheel, harbor freights clamping dial indicator and make a piston stop pretty cheap and shouldn't really need anything else that you wouldn't have around the garage.

I'd ask your tuner though before and see what he think it would be worth and it what he recommends. I'm pretty sure I remember the 4g63 motor being interference so you'd want to be sure too that whatever you degree your cams to that you have enough piston to valve clearance as well.

Tuner was wondering why they weren’t loping, said they sounded stock but I provided pictures and part numbers.
I’m not too worried, has good vacuum and drives decent. I guess we’ll see what Shane has to say when it goes to the dyno.

One other difference is that I did the “free FIAV block off” and got rid of the coolant lines, but kept the ISC.

DSMINMN 02-28-2018 03:15 PM

If you're pulling good vacuum and don't run into any other issues I'd say to leave it how it is. Lope isn't a good thing anyways. It's always a good idea to degree the cams before the engine goes into the car though just to confirm. Installing them straight up may not actually be straight up. Thus the reason for degreeing. Then you also have the ability to play with advancing/retarding if need be.

asshanson 02-28-2018 03:53 PM

What if one of your cam gears is a tooth off? That would be enough to get rid of the lope/overlap.

CarPsyco84 02-28-2018 06:49 PM

For what it's worth, I've had 2 seperate set's of the same cams that idle'd radically different. Dropped in "straight up", i'm sure the accuracy of the lobe centers to the timing pin vary. They were BC280's after all. But I wouldn't be surpised if they are slightly advanced, or both different shortening the overlap, making the idle performance seem like a smaller cam.