MitsuStyle

MitsuStyle (http://www.mitsustyle.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Parking Lot - On & Off Topic (http://www.mitsustyle.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   any IT guys here, willing to answer a few questions. (http://www.mitsustyle.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29049)

stikx 02-20-2011 06:22 AM

any IT guys here, willing to answer a few questions.

I was wondering if I can ask a couple of questions.

Nartanian 02-20-2011 12:16 PM

Re: any IT guys here, willing to answer a few questions.

What questions? I could probably answer some.

scheides 02-20-2011 12:41 PM

Go.

cmspaz 02-20-2011 03:24 PM

Lol, this thread amuses me.

Matt D. 02-20-2011 03:28 PM

Okay, so I have these answers. Can I give them?

turbotalon1g 02-20-2011 04:17 PM

Would you guys sell them to me for a low price, I need to make money.

stikx 02-20-2011 05:12 PM

I decided to try the IT field. I will have to start at a junior college and go for a AAS degree, first. I'm not good at math and mainly going to be on the network side; database/network admin.

I was wondering if you guys have opinions on where to start school.

mlomker 02-20-2011 06:14 PM

Math isn't really a requirement for admin work so I wouldn't worry about that. Make sure that you really enjoy technology. The field involves long hours and then you go home to read books afterward. The pay sounds good until you figure it out by the hour. lol.

DoughtCom 02-20-2011 06:30 PM

I enjoy my job, a lot.

Matt D. 02-20-2011 07:18 PM

If you want a 2 year degree then go to a real school that allows the credits to be transferred, pretty much any community or technical college. Do your research on this, you'll thank me later.

Not much IT work requires the use of math except some programming, and networking when you start dealing with things like subnets.

As mlomker said you REALLY need to enjoy technology. If you aren't the type who regularly follows technology news and trends and don't enjoy playing with computers in your spare time then you are not going to like doing this as your career.

stikx 02-20-2011 08:48 PM

I don't really follow tech news but I do build my own computers and love to solve network issues. I game a lot so issues come up. I feel very driven to find a solution to network issues, I search, read, and try to comprehend as much as I can. I tend to not want to stop trying to find a solution, it can be hours and I don't even notice. I know real IT work is on a different level but I can't find an area of interest that leads me to be so driven to solve a problem.

Is there any junior colleges that you guy's recommend as a good place to start?

mlomker 02-20-2011 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stikx (Post 374191)
Is there any junior colleges that you guy's recommend as a good place to start?

I recommend that you swing by Century College in WBL and check them out.

I took my CISSP exam up there and was impressed with their Cisco lab equipment. Their 'Information and Telecommunications Technology' AAS degree looks really solid. I think the ideal is to find a program where you'll leave with BOTH respected industry certifications and an AAS that'll allow you to do a bachelors completion program down the road. You really can't get by (long-term) without a bachelors.

stikx 02-20-2011 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlomker (Post 374194)
I recommend that you swing by Century College in WBL and check them out.

I took my CISSP exam up there and was impressed with their Cisco lab equipment. Their 'Information and Telecommunications Technology' AAS degree looks really solid. I think the ideal is to find a program where you'll leave with BOTH respected industry certifications and an AAS that'll allow you to do a bachelors completion program down the road. You really can't get by (long-term) without a bachelors.

Thanks!

daoshao 02-20-2011 09:54 PM

I enjoy my job and it took a while to get where i wanted to be. Don't believe any school recruiter telling you you'll make very good money right out of college. You'll get entry level pay. I remember interviewing some tech's and Network guys who expected top level pay right of college. :lol:

mlomker 02-20-2011 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daoshao (Post 374196)
I remember interviewing some tech's and Network guys who expected top level pay right of college. :lol:

Certainly not if you're a guy. Women that are good can get more, I've witnessed it first hand.

DoughtCom 02-20-2011 11:09 PM

If you're open to programming, which is much easier to get a job in that field, the best career path is to drop out of high school -> skip college -> get a programming job (shitty pay) and work your way up...

I make more money than all of my friends that went to college and I don't have student loans and made money while they were paying for college.

My two friends that went to college for networking, CCNA, MCSA etc. are both out of jobs right now my 6 other friends that are programmers all have great jobs and the market is wide open for good programmers, web specifically.

You said you wanted a network job but I figured I would give you some information about my field.

Alpha D 02-20-2011 11:11 PM

Dunwoody awesome school, if your willing to put the work into it!. . .Problem is credit transferring one of the UNDESIRABLE THINGS about that school!

tehehodi 02-20-2011 11:41 PM

Listen to these guys! Absorb everything and make a plan for yourself. People got into the field different ways as I've learned. There really isn't no wrong way or right way. Just find a way that fits you and your budget. I honestly would go to school as it's easier to "get your foot in the door" as most places want a 4 year degree now or equivalent work experience. Check out some listings to get an idea of what you want to do and shoot for. Just food for thought.

I just recently got into the field myself and enjoy my job very much and can't wait to move up the chain and take on new responsibilities. It took me awhile to land a job but persistence, perseverance, and talking to most of these guys on here helped me a lot and I'm going to take this chance to say...

Thank you to all the IT guys here who have given me advice. I wouldn't be in this position if it wasn't for you guys. I have never been happier in my life and actually enjoy going to work every day. I'm happy to be on this board cause I swear 90% of them are in the IT field. So, you've chosen the right place to ask questions!

Matt D. 02-21-2011 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alpha D (Post 374201)
Dunwoody awesome school, if your willing to put the work into it!. . .Problem is credit transferring one of the UNDESIRABLE THINGS about that school!

Yes, as great of a school as Dunwoody is (I have a few friends who graduated from there and have great careers) the chance of you being able to transfer those credits anywhere is slim to none.

TalonFiero 02-21-2011 09:30 AM

I love IT work but it is difficult to find good paying jobs that don't have you working odd hours. Programming seems much more in demand especially with web or java.

I eventually worked out of IT and into management. Now I am a client manager in the software/IT field as I found more stable work going that way with decent pay.

Like DoughtCom, I also do not have a college degree, just a course completed at Brown Institute for PC/LAN back in 99-00.

Not having a degree sucks in my line of work if I am ever out a job and competing against a guy on the street. That is why it is important to never burn bridges, meet as many people as you can, and make friends with those at whatever company you work at outside of your immediate group of colleagues.

I also agree with MattD in that you are better off going to a 2 year school where credits could transfer. You sound like someone that is interested in IT which is good because the successful folks in IT are passionate about the technology and become better problem solvers.

Good Luck!