MitsuStyle

MitsuStyle (http://www.mitsustyle.com/forums/index.php)
-   Brakes / Body / Suspension (http://www.mitsustyle.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   AWD tire wear (http://www.mitsustyle.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12897)

Kracka 09-14-2006 09:47 AM

AWD tire wear

Kind of a random question that I've always wondered about: On AWD DSM's assuming normal street-driving, do the front or rear tires wear quicker?

CDeutsch 09-14-2006 10:00 AM

Re: AWD tire wear

The fronts always wear faster for me on every AWD car I've owned, but that's generally due to cornering and braking as opposed to acceleration.

dedlewamp 09-14-2006 01:11 PM

Yup the fronts will wear more than the rears.

JET 09-14-2006 03:02 PM

Mine are usually pretty close if the car doesn't push a lot. The fronts wear faster if you spin them on take off though. Most DSM's push too, so that wears them.

Halon 09-14-2006 03:05 PM

My rears wear faster, but that's probably due to them looking all / \

clean2g 09-14-2006 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ju-on

Haha.. ^ I agree, but I've evened up the wearing process a bit by rotating them frequently. Free rotate and balance, FTW!

xveganxcowboyx 09-14-2006 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ju-on

Glad I'm not the only one. Everyone comments.

They seem to wear pretty evenly for me though.

YiNYaNg 09-14-2006 05:07 PM

Rear frist

Halon 09-14-2006 06:21 PM

I tried to fix my camber. I have a camber kit in there and all, but my shit's a bit fucked up back there, so they can't adjust it.

Pimpin Dsmstyle 09-14-2006 07:29 PM

My fronts always wear faster because I drive it like a woman. I think if you abuse it, they will all wear about the same. This is all assuming your tires are flat on the ground and not screwed up from a drop :P AWD drops a little different than a FWD!

ExTREME 09-14-2006 10:59 PM

My fronts have worn out quicker, havent driven the car that much but the fronts are showing wear, does having no Powersteer effect the wear on the fronts, obviously if you oversteer, but does just haveing no PS effect it?

Kracka 09-14-2006 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ExTREME
but does just haveing no PS effect it?

It shouldn't, you are working harder, but the tires are moving just the same.

tim 09-14-2006 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ExTREME
My fronts have worn out quicker, havent driven the car that much but the fronts are showing wear, does having no Powersteer effect the wear on the fronts, obviously if you oversteer, but does just haveing no PS effect it?

Are they wearing flat across the surface? If so rotate often. If not, have your alignment checked.

The most important thing for any vehicle is to have your tires rotated and balanced. I see it every day where people neglect this and it ruins their tires.

Obviously cars with different widths front and rear cant but any other car needs to.

Pimpin Dsmstyle 09-16-2006 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S2kracka
It shouldn't, you are working harder, but the tires are moving just the same.

I think having no PS might reduce front tire life slightly. You crank the wheel alot w/out power steering if you're in a tight spot (while not moving which is not the way a tire was designed to turn! Lots of friction). Not like a power steering car where you can just turn the wheel as needed. You might be right though.

Gravy 09-16-2006 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tim
Obviously cars with different widths front and rear cant but any other car needs to.

You could if you wanted to, but it's just look retarted and have no hook up ability. Saw one guy on 252 a while back in a truck that had mikeys on the front and stockers on the back. Duno if he was just having fun doing burnouts or what, but i sure got a laugh out of it.

tim 09-16-2006 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pimpin Dsmstyle
I think having no PS might reduce front tire life slightly. You crank the wheel alot w/out power steering if you're in a tight spot (while not moving which is not the way a tire was designed to turn! Lots of friction). Not like a power steering car where you can just turn the wheel as needed. You might be right though.

There is no more friction with the tire and the pavement if you have PS or not. Think about it power steering or power assisted steering helps you not the tire?

This is easier than the jet on the conveyor belt concept;)