MitsuStyle

MitsuStyle (http://www.mitsustyle.com/forums/index.php)
-   Modern Automotive Performance (http://www.mitsustyle.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   *New Product* MAP Integrated O2 Housing / O2 Eliminator Downpipe for Evolution 8/9 (http://www.mitsustyle.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21328)

v8klla 11-12-2008 07:11 PM

*New Product* MAP Integrated O2 Housing / O2 Eliminator Downpipe for Evolution 8/9

http://www.maperformance.com/gallery...es/evoo2e4.jpg

MAP Integrated O2 Housing Downpipe with External Dump $349.99 Shipped
MAP Integrated O2 Housing Downpipe with Recirculated Dump $379.99 Shipped

Introductory pricing available please contact us for details!

You have stumbled upon the first of many upcoming product offerings produced by MAPerformance under the MAP brand name. Our goal is to offer the highest quality products available at a price that anyone can afford, and our very first product has done just that! This integrated O2 housing downpipe, or O2 eliminator as they are often referred to, has proven to add 16whp on a stock turbo, stock air intake Evolution at factory boost levels! It is also important to note that these gains were realized on a car that had already upgraded the catback exhaust system and replaced the catalytic converter, arguably the biggest restriction from the factory, with a test pipe! Even larger gains are inevitable on applications with further modifications or increased boost levels!

Features / Benefits

- Integrated O2 sensor housing reduces exhaust restrictions.
- Mandrel bent tubing throughout optimizes exhaust flow.
- Stainless steel flex section reduces stress from engine movement increasing longevity.
- Optimal wastegate dump location helps eliminate boost creep.
- Aluminized mild steel tubing reduces the likelihood of cracking.
- Black high temperature ceramic coating improves corrosion resistance and reduces under hood temperatures.
- Fits all Evolution 8 & 9 including those equipped with an Active Center Differential (ACD).
- Includes all necessary gaskets and hardware including spacers to clear the factory crossmember.
- 100% Made in the USA.

Options

External wastegate dump:
This is the absolute best option in regards to performance as the wastegate gases never reenter the exhaust system. Please note that under full boost the exhaust will be considerably louder. This option is intended for off road use only as venting exhaust gases prior to a catalytic converter is illegal in most states.

Recirculated wastegate dump: Standard O2 housing configurations recirculate the wastegate gases just inches away from the turbine outlet resulting in turbulence and decreased performance. Our unit recirculates the wastegate gases as far away from the turbine outlet as possible to provide you with the best possible performance without the additional noise from the external dump.

Future Development

Is bigger always better?: Our initial design for this product utilized full 3" tubing which to our surprise made less power than this 2.5" to 3" transition on a stock Evo 9 turbocharger (I guess bigger isn't always beter!). We still feel, however, that the full 3" design has potential on applications with an upgraded turbocharger so check back often for further testing and product updates!

Stainless Steel: Sure stainless steel is naturally corrosion resistant and has the "bling" factor that some enthusiasts may be after, but is there really a difference in performance and longevity? In reality stainless steel is more likely to suffer from stress fatigue or cracking in comparison to aluminized mild steel and costs almost twice as much! Properly apply a high temperature ceramic coating to aluminized mild steel like we have done here and corrosion resistance is no longer a factor! Regardless we are still considering a run of these units in stainless steel for those that must have it, if this interests you please contact us so we can get the ball rolling!

Important Note

The black ceramic coating utilized on this product requires curing, which will take place during the first few heat cycles once installed, to ensure chemical and corrosion resistance. Please handle the product with care prior to and during installation.

Warranty Information

At Modern Automotive Performance we strive to offer only the highest quality products and stand behind our work. All MAP brand products will include a one year warranty from the date of purchase. In the event of a failure from a manufacturing defect we will either repair or replace the product at no cost.

http://www.maperformance.com/gallery...res/evoo2e.jpg

Addition #1: Recirculated Image

Please disregard the horrible image quality ;) Also this was a higher gloss ceramic coating that we have moved away from but at least you can get an idea of what the recirculated version looks like. Based on this one piece design we are able to recirculate the wastegate gases further away from the turbine outlet yielding the best possible performance from a recirculated setup :)

http://www.maperformance.com/gallery...res/EvoO2E.JPG

Addition #2: Dyno Chart

There are a few important notes I would like to make about this dyno chart. First, although the run with the MAP downpipe appears to spool slower THIS IS NOT THE CASE! The sampling for the run with the MAP downpipe was started about 500 RPM's later than the control thus appearing to spool slower when in reality it is similar if not faster spooling. Unfortunately we did not have enough time with the test car to document this :( Secondly, this test was performed on a stock Evo 8 with the exception of a test pipe and catback. These are the gains you can expect from replacing your O2 housing and downpipe alone! Add an air intake, increase the boost, and/or incorporate some tuning and the gains will surely increase!

http://www.maperformance.com/gallery...est_medium.jpg

Kracka 11-12-2008 07:14 PM

Re: *New Product* MAP Integrated O2 Housing / O2 Eliminator Downpipe for Evolution 8/

Looks great guys; love that little logo plaque! I like the idea of the ceramic coating which should also help keep underhood temps down and exhaust gas velocity up.

Any pictures of it installed on a car?

allyoucaneat_talon 11-12-2008 09:16 PM

Re: *New Product* MAP Integrated O2 Housing / O2 Eliminator Downpipe for Evolution 8/

Looks nice. Any for a 1g. Let me know. Thanks

mike55112 11-13-2008 12:10 AM

I want this,I will most likley pick one up in the spring

turbotalon1g 11-13-2008 01:35 AM

Got a sneak peak at this the other night, Pipe looks as clean in person as it does in those pics.

v8klla 11-13-2008 09:54 AM

I'll see if I can't get some install pics from our test vehicle with recirculated dump. In regards to a DSM application would you consider purchasing one at this price point? My concern there would be competition and pricing as the DSM market is so saturated with O2 housings and downpipes lol.

Thanks for the kind words guys!

turbotalon1g 11-13-2008 11:59 AM

If you made stuff for DSMs I think it would have to be V-band for it to really stand out, be above teh rest.

Goat Blower 11-13-2008 09:35 PM

Hmmm.....:)

v8klla 11-14-2008 09:48 AM

What's the Hmmmm mean? lol

v8klla 11-14-2008 12:19 PM

Updates!

turbotalon1g 11-14-2008 12:29 PM

Hmmm for V-band goodness for DSMs

Kracka 11-17-2008 07:56 PM

Saw this in person tonight; very nice looking!

v8klla 11-18-2008 09:36 AM

Thank you sir! Sorry I didn't step out to say hi I was bombarded with phone calls all of the sudden!

Kracka 01-24-2009 07:49 PM

I helped DoughtCom his today and overall the install went smoother than I expected. He has the prototype 2.5" version that expands to 3" after the 90* bend which I'm sure made the install a little easier. We did not have to remove the A/C, exhaust manifold, or turbo hotside, but we did remove the radiator. Ratcheting wrenches really helped out too so if you don't have a set I recommend at least picking up a 14mm. Also, a very short socket extension or swivel was needed. We of course also used a lot of PB Blaster which really helped when removing the old bolts; upon installation we used plenty of copper anti-seize on everything.

95talonracer 01-24-2009 09:27 PM

Mine seems to be A++ so far as well! Great products guys!

v8klla 01-26-2009 12:27 PM

Thanks for the kind words guys!