MitsuStyle

MitsuStyle (http://www.mitsustyle.com/forums/index.php)
-   Turbo / Engine / Drivetrain (http://www.mitsustyle.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=91)
-   -   lots of smoke in 4th and 5th gear and lil in 3rd (http://www.mitsustyle.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11565)

ther1pper 05-20-2006 12:34 AM

lots of smoke in 4th and 5th gear and lil in 3rd

Ok. so i posted on here awhile ago about a propblem with lots of white smoke whenever i build boost. Some people said it could of been the turbo others head gasket. so i got ahold of some good machanics down here in tampa. we replaced my turbo, rebuilt the head,, engine seals, water pump, o2 sensors, timing belt, balanced shaft belt, all new gaskets, head gasket, u name it. Now i can build full boost in 1st 2nd and no smoke at all, but in 3rd i can build boost alot but it will smoke jsut a lil, but when i build boost in 4th or 5th WHOA boy, pretty much the person behind me cant see.

Anyone have any ideas. Cause im out.
-Joe

1QUICK4 05-20-2006 08:05 AM

Re: lots of smoke in 4th and 5th gear and lil in 3rd

Rings

TheBlizzard 05-20-2006 08:51 AM

What mods are on the car? It could be running really rich.

howslowcanyougo 05-20-2006 01:00 PM

Blue smoke would be rings, and white smoke head gasket.......

tim 05-20-2006 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheBlizzard
What mods are on the car? It could be running really rich.

That is what I was thinking. I remember following some cars after the cookout last year and the smell and sight of a rich DSM was really in the air:D

ther1pper 05-21-2006 05:05 AM

14b
hard upper ic piping
mbc
greddy type-rs bov
apexi downpipe 2.5"
apexi 3" catback
greddy oil catch tank
ported 2g exhaust mani
safc (blue)

Thats all i can really think of.

But i replaced head gasket so i dont think its that, and its definatly not blue smoke, but could be piston rings, will change those next. Think it could be a warped head of some sort? ANything will help

TheBlizzard 05-21-2006 07:26 AM

Like was stated above, if the smoke is white it most likely burning coolant of from somewhere. Yes the head could be warped, you didn't have that checked when you did the head gasket? You could have a cracked cyclinder wall as well, anything is possible.

A little black smoke (rich) from a turbo car isn't always a bad thing, blue smoke is bad, and white smoke is definetly a bad bad thing.

Thor06 05-21-2006 08:31 AM

Have you done a compression test? Why didnt you have the head planed when you had it rebuilt? I kinda think a warped head is the culprit here. Definately sucks though.

sleepydsm 05-21-2006 07:15 PM

real good mechanics, eh joe? Determine the smoke color, do a compression test as people advised, maybe even a leak down test. Then go from there.

ther1pper 05-22-2006 03:26 AM

Well he resurfaced the head when he did the rebuild. i have had the 14b on befor the headgasket blew and i put it on after. He said he saw black stuff in the turbo and said its prolly my turbo. So imma try find a new one and see how that goes. Anyone else have opinion on it?
-Joe

blageo23 05-22-2006 10:41 AM

Id say as long as you are going to get a new turbo and you are already set up for the 14B go out and buy a evoIII 16G(brand new). And then you will know for sure if it is your turbo or not.

howslowcanyougo 05-22-2006 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sleepydsm
real good mechanics, eh joe? Determine the smoke color, do a compression test as people advised, maybe even a leak down test. Then go from there.

+2 on The Compression test!