PDA

View Full Version : Engine Running Bad Sometimes

Pages : [1] 2

92TSi
12-26-2003, 12:21 PM
I have a 92 Tsi AWD. It has a K&N and I recently cut off the muffler. I bought this car about 3 months ago and it had this problem before I put on the K&N filter and cut off the muffler. Most of the time the engine runs good except at full throttle when it gets around 5 or 6k rpms. It sounds like pop, pop, pop. When I had the muffler on it sounded like puff, puff, puff. The engine almost quites accelerating, so I'll shift then it starts accelerating smoothly again. It doesn't do it every time, but it happens quit a bit. A few weeks ago I put in NGK BPR6ES spark plugs. The car ran really well for about 3 days. Then it started having the same problems again. Also, sometimes on cold mornings the engine will not accelerate smoothly at part throttle and low rpms. I'm thinking it could be the oxygen sensor, but I'm no expert. So, if you guys and girls have any suggestions please let me know.

At-Least-It's-An-Evo
12-26-2003, 12:47 PM
try swapping wires. Mine did that, then i swapped plugs; that helped a tiny bit. Then it started up again.. wires were the key.

92TSi
12-26-2003, 01:47 PM
I did swap the wires at the same time I swapped the plugs.

TheBlizzard
12-26-2003, 03:01 PM
From what you are describing you could have a number of problems. Have you tested for boost leaks at all? If it isn't that you could be running out of fuel. Not sure why it would be doing this since you don't have many mods but you could have a part on its way out. But I would definetly check for boost leaks next if you have replaced your plugs and wires. The pop, pop, pop noise you are getting is either the car running rich or lean, you just have to figure out which one it is.

By the way, are you getting a check enging light at all? If you are find somebody with a logger and a 1G cable and pull the code.

santa
12-26-2003, 03:49 PM
HEAD GASKET......like me lol sounds like my car but my pop pop pop sounds like a gun going off...gotta love open 3inch d/p!!!

92TSi
12-26-2003, 06:18 PM
I havn't checked for boost leaks yet. Would I do that by making sure all the hoses are on tight, or is there a better way? There are no check engine lights on.

If it is the head gasket, would I find that out by checking the compression pressure?

MustGoFaster
12-26-2003, 11:41 PM
What are you gapping the plugs at?

john
12-26-2003, 11:55 PM
Yeah, I would check the plug gaps first. A boost leak test is different than a compression test. Vfaq.com shows how to make a boost leak tester. All you do is pump/compress air into it and listen for leaks. If you find any you fix them.

92TSi
12-27-2003, 01:09 AM
When I installed the plugs they were gapped at .030.

MustGoFaster
12-27-2003, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by 92TSi@Dec 27 2003, 01:09 AM
When I installed the plugs they were gapped at .030.
Well, try knocking it down to, .028, not a bid diff but every little bit helps when your troubleshooting.