PDA

View Full Version : I need some tools

ABV
10-19-2005, 01:10 PM
Does anyone now where I can find a cam sprocket wrench. It's for a SOHC V6 ('99 Nissan Frontier w/VG33E). I'm changing the timing belt soon, and I figured as long as I have it that far, I might as well do the oil seals too. In the FSM it says you should use a cam sprocket wrench, to hold the sprocket while you loosen or tighten the bolt. That sounds great, but where can I find one of those? Would a Red Rooster type place have one? I suppose I could use an impact, but I'd rather not. Also, should I loosen the cam sprockets while the old belt is still on? I think that would minimize the chances of Mr. Valve meeting Mr. Piston.

Also, what is a good way to measure belt deflection? For the timing belt, the FSM gets pretty specific about how much deflection should be on a certain location when xx lbs of force is applied. I could use a straight edge and a tape measure, or just eyeball it I guess, but there has to be a better way to do this.

I don't mind spending a little money on some specialty tools that I'll probably only use once or twice. I want to get the job done right the first time. Plus, with the $400+ dollars I'm saving by doing it myself, I figure I can spend a little money to save myslef some headaches.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks