PDA

View Full Version : Nascar and "Bump Drafting"

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

AJ
05-02-2005, 11:55 AM
Well it's all over the news today as the cause of the 25 car pile up this weekend. I just saw highlights and wow that was a mess. ESPN did a nice breakdown of "bump drafting" and what kind of effect it has. Some think it shodl be banned, other think it's just part of racing.

What do some of you nascar fans think about it and how it effected the race this weekend by whiping out half the field.

For those who don't know what bump drafting is... It's when a car A is being followed by car B so close and then sind car A is ending up with more wind resisance and car B can go faster by drafting. The bump drafting is when car B bumps car A and uses it's own energy to allow car A to go just a bit fast. They essentally work as a team.

Jakey
05-02-2005, 12:06 PM
I missed the race yesterday (f*ck!) but I believe bump drafting should be banned. It is simply too risky of a driving style to be using at the speeds these guys & gals drive at. If I remember correctly, bump drafting is what got so many drivers pissed off at Tony Stewart (who's a piece of shit in the first place) and Kevin Harvick last year.

DSMPARTSGURU
05-02-2005, 12:07 PM
OK, NOW QUESTION? how do you stop it from happening? alot of the time it cant be helped....

cc

Kracka
05-02-2005, 12:08 PM
OK, NOW QUESTION? how do you stop it from happening? alot of the time it cant be helped....

cc

Sure it can, they don't use it in any open-wheel racing series.

DSMPARTSGURU
05-02-2005, 12:10 PM
open wheeled racing doenst have a front bumper to break the air like a nascar vehicle... so even if they did they are so aerodynamic it wouldnt help any.....

just my.02

chris

Sure it can, they don't use it in any open-wheel racing series.

1QUICK4
05-02-2005, 12:41 PM
Bump drafting has always been a part of superspeedway Nascar racing and always will be.

There is usually always an accident that takes out half the feild during the big track races.

Shotgun!
05-02-2005, 12:55 PM
Bump drafting has always been a part of superspeedway Nascar racing and always will be.

There is usually always an accident that takes out half the feild during the big track races.
Word. Nascar is really just about the wrecks anyway. I say the cars need more power and driving aids.

Kracka
05-02-2005, 01:02 PM
open wheeled racing doenst have a front bumper to break the air like a nascar vehicle... so even if they did they are so aerodynamic it wouldnt help any.....

just my.02

chris

Drafting is utilized in open-wheel racing, they just don't hit each other. They either back off the accelerator to conserve fuel or swing out at the last second and use the extra momentum to make a pass.

NASCAR is all about the wrecks like Reid said, hicks don't care about competition, they thrive on carnage.

scheides
05-02-2005, 04:03 PM
probably best to just ban nascar all together. oh well.

Jakey
05-02-2005, 04:45 PM
probably best to just ban nascar all together. oh well.

The fastest growing sport in America? Right.