PDA

View Full Version : turbo oil sources

Super Bleeder!!
10-17-2003, 02:38 AM
i have 2 choices right now that prevent me from getting my car back on the road.

since i stripped the head where the banjo oil line fits. :blush:

i can either have it helicoiled and run oil from the stock location

OR i can do it 2g aka PTE style and run an oil line from the filter housing.
i know some turbos are designed with higher oil pressures in mind, but they are built differently than my 20g.

anyone know people that run mitsu turbos this way? i'm thinking it probably can't hurt for when the time comes to upgrade to something stupid huge, i'll probably have to switch to the 2g way. but then again i believe FP prefers the stock way. hmm, i really don't know a lot about the subject so BAM! i'm posting

LEARN ME!!! :smoker:

Shane@DBPerformance
10-17-2003, 03:19 AM
I wouldn't worry about running it the 2G way unless you removed the balance shafts, then the pressure gets very high.

Nash
10-17-2003, 07:50 AM
I have mine running the same way a 2G does, and I haven't had any problems. I still have balance shafts.

Kracka
10-17-2003, 11:03 AM
Another good thing about running oil from the filter housing is the fact that its "clean" oil fresh out of the filter and a lot cooler than the oil out of the head.

Jacek
10-17-2003, 12:58 PM
a buddy of mine has a sidemount oil cooler that he has his turbo hooked up to.

PSI2HI
10-17-2003, 08:00 PM
If you're gonna tap into the oil filter housing you have to make sure you tap into the port after the oil filter. If not your gonna be worse off then tapping to the head as you'll receive dirty oil pre filter. And that'd put you a lot worse off.

I know or least i heard AGP was recomending running oil from the head as well. But wehn i last talked to PTE they said they were no longer going to warranty turbo's that were taking oil from the head which in my opinion is BS because if the factory took it from there why cant everyone else. But i guess thats up to them. Their turbo's have been failing no matter where you tap for oil.

Nick
straightlinespecialties.com

JET
10-17-2003, 08:24 PM
I run mine from the filter housing on my PTE (which works great!) and also did on my 16g. I got the SS line from RRE.

Goat Blower
10-17-2003, 09:25 PM
I run mine off my 90 oil housing with the RRE braided line. No problems. Even without balance shafts my oil pressure goes a little over 100 psi. Just don't do it with a ball bearing turbo and you're good.