PDA

View Full Version : Cooling Fans

Enes
12-02-2003, 12:45 PM
93 grand prix winter beater car ... 3.1l v6 automatic

Well, fixed the brakes, alternator and new tires.. etc etc.

now its time to fix the heating/cooling.. ..

The temp gauge works.. which is good.. it goes up to 220 and then back down to 190... then it sits there for a while and then slowly creaps up t 220 225 and then it sits there for a little bit and then backs down to 190 ...

one thing tho.. the fans never come on.. i checked all of the fuses.. i checked the relays... reseated them... changed them around.. can't imagine all 4 the same relays being bad.. i might just take and run new power to the fans and have a switch in the car that i can manually turn on and off

I am going to drain the whole coolant system and put new fresh coolant in it ... i don't know how old it is... and then i will most likely replace thermostat... as well..

A//// Guy
12-02-2003, 01:16 PM
You should buy a chiltons manual for that car. It should be in there.

520Talon
12-02-2003, 01:50 PM
I would guess it would have to be the thermostat as well. At least one fan should come on with the AC or defrost though.

I say you should just hard wire them to a switch in the dash with a relay wired up to the ignition so you can't leave them on when the cars off.

As far as the 30 deg temp swing, I have the same thing on my GMC van when I sit a lights it will drop to 170-180. It sits at a solid 205 except towing up long grades, then it might creep. Maybe change out the termostat while your at it.

Jakey
12-02-2003, 03:44 PM
Sounds like something very similar to what my grand am used to do: replacing the thermostat fixed the problem.