PDA

View Full Version : Turbo Oil Restrictor

Pages : [1] 2

Halon
03-06-2005, 05:02 PM
OK I've been reading around and have been seeing a lot of people on other sites talk about putting a restrictor inline with their turbo oil feedline. They are saying supposidley there turbos aren't able to take the oil pressure our cars dish out off the oil filter housing. Causing oil to get past and into the exhaust and blow smoke. Just curoius because I have a new turbo sitting at home that I will be installed once I get home, and I will be running the oil feed off the filter housing. Just curious what you all think about this restrictor idea. Because I'm not sure if the people I see talking about this on other boards actually know a thing or two, or if they are really just clueless. Thanks!

1ViciousGSX
03-06-2005, 05:11 PM
First I've heard of this, unless you are running a Garrett GT bb series turbo.

JET
03-06-2005, 05:42 PM
Yep, that is for BB turbo's.

1ViciousGSX
03-06-2005, 05:46 PM
If it's a bb turbo, take the oil feed off of the head.

TheBlizzard
03-06-2005, 05:46 PM
There is not a standard of what the right thing to do is regarding this question. It has a lot to do with the turbo you are running. The vendor from which your turbo is from will let you know where you should get the oil feed from.

The only fact that you can place on this subject is that turbos don't require as much oil pressure as a motor does. But a lot of things will affect oil pressure, just going from 10-30 oil to 5-30 oil will drop your oil pressure quit a bit.

As far as a restrictor goes, I don't think it would be required in most applications other than a BB like Mike stated. I know they also use in-line filters because of early failures due to dirty oil.

CRAIG

Wizard
03-06-2005, 06:28 PM
http://www.forcedperformance.net/faq.aspx

They give a darn good explanation of when you should use lots of oil pressure versus little. And even describes the importance of having a free flowing and large diameter oil return.

Wiz

Halon
03-06-2005, 07:03 PM
Yes I understand the need for BB turbos to run a lesser Oil Pressure, and also be watercooled. The turbo going in my car is your standard oil cooled, thrust bearing style. And I also understand the need for a proper oil return as well, no restrictions causing some back up and too much oil built up in the turbo and it leaking past the rings. I have mainly been reading about these restrictors on Tuners (which is why I'm here asking because I question the validity of stuff on there). Some are stating that they are running high oil pressure at times, and they claim it's causing oil to leak by the turbos rings and get into the exhaust housing and blow smoke. And they are solving these issues by adding restrictors to the feedline, or running a -3an vice a 4an feedline. Thanks for the replies thus far though!!

Also about using what my vendor recommends. I do not have much trust left for the vendor I purchased this from. The turbo was ordered about 6 months ago, when I still trusted them. But not anymore, so I would rather not follow their advice. I trust the peoples knowledge on here much more then them.

Alpine TSi
03-06-2005, 07:05 PM
I had heard of this with some of the PTE turbos, I was doing an assload of research when I had my SCM61. Unfortunately I lost all the info I had in a hard drive crash about four months ago. But I specific remember hearing about it with PTE turbos in the way you mention it. I also talked to Swanny about it and he had mentioned that someone else(I think Enes) had that happening on a fresh turbo.

Swifty1638
03-06-2005, 07:23 PM
wow..I got some learning to do. What oil do you all run in your dsm's? Cause, In my current car, I run 5w30 in winter, and 10w30, or even 10w40 during summer. With the above mentioned being said, how safe is it to switch oils like that during the winter and summer with turbo's pressure not needing as much as the motor, and even then..the motor's pressure changes seasonally, with the thickness of the oil? is there an oil year-round i should use? I also was wanting to swap the manifold for a tubular manifold my buddy has layin around into my new car (hopefully), so I was gonna ask about the differences in oil feed, when you switch turbos as well..

-A. Swift

JET
03-06-2005, 07:26 PM
You are fine swifty. The people needing restrictors are going to have new oil pumps and no balance shafts. That will bump up the pressure quite a bit. That being said, Nash's car runs 100+ psi of oil pressure and it works just fine on a PTE turbo. You shouldn't have a problem with a non-BB turbo.