PDA

View Full Version : Basic Tuning

sleepydsm
02-13-2005, 01:43 PM
I just bought a modded '92 tsi awd. It has 660cc's, MAFT, 5-knob AFC, datalogger, FMIC, 3" turbo back, ported exhaust and 14B, walbro 255hp, and some random bolt on AFPR. The car runs, but the previous owner told me the A/F ratio was all over the place. He was previously running a larger turbo (A buschur 475 or something?) and then he set the car up so he could run a 14B. So I'm assuming then the car is running really rich, and thats why it drives like shit above 10 psi. The datalogger shows no knock, but once it flashed 3 counts of knock for a second. Other than that it hasnt recorded knock. The car is using the stock MAS right now, because it drives better than when the MAFT is used unstead. When it is running the MAFT, the car is groggy until about 4K and then it really pulls hard. What I'm wondering, is there anyone here that could maybe help me tune the car (I dont know what the hell to do) or should I just take it to elite and pay them a lot of money to do it, something I might be able to do by myself (with the guidance of someone else of course). Thanks.

JET
02-13-2005, 02:54 PM
I would put the MAFT back in and adjust the settings to help compensate for the 660's. You are running rich as hell right now, the SAFC can only adjust out 30% and you are running injectors 50% bigger.

carltalon
02-13-2005, 03:01 PM
I agree with Jet put the MAFT back on and tune with that. Heres a link to the MAFT directions if you don't have them. http://www.fullthrottletech.com/showthread.php?t=105

TheBlizzard
02-13-2005, 03:02 PM
Depending on what version MAFT you have there are tables to set the dip switches to compensate for your injectors. By adjusting it correctly your car should be able to use the 660s as if they were stock.

CRAIG

TheBlizzard
02-13-2005, 03:04 PM
Also if you get your MAFT calibrated correctly you should be able to almost zero out your AFC and the car will run like it almost stock. If you want to run more boost, just watch the logger and add some more fuel where you need it.

CRAIG

sleepydsm
02-13-2005, 06:02 PM
Thanks.

john
02-16-2005, 10:16 AM
Definitly put the maft back on as stated above. I am betting the guy already has it calibrated for 660's. Then set the afc to 0 and start from there. The car should run like stock except for WOT. Get a bigger turbo by the way! That is going to be holding you back quite a bit now. Pm me if you decide you want one as I may be changing my mind here shortly.