PDA

View Full Version : 96-99 Cd Changer Help

curt_gendron
11-22-2003, 12:03 AM
Hey everyone,

I'm thinking about picking up a used 10 disc CD changer. The Mitsu one that is compatible with the Infinity head unit. I'm pretty sure that the 96-99 GSXs are prewired for this changer. But I haven't been able to find any info on the internet about where the conector is located in the hatch.

Can someone either point me to a website where this info is, or describe where to find the location of the connector.

I'm really frustrated with all the broken links on the old DSM websites. :headache:

Thanks,
Curt

AJ
11-22-2003, 02:03 AM
Hey curt, if you lift up the hatch cover and look on the right side you shoudl see 1 single black cord for a CD changer if it is wired all the way back. It would be in plain view on the rear side of the back tire.

But most likly if it had one and was taken out then you need to get a changer with the cord and run it from the deck back.

Goat Blower
11-22-2003, 11:23 AM
Curt, there's a factory changer in a 2G up at Rite-Away. It appears to be in good shape. I think it's in the only 97+ model they have up there, they should know where it is. Of course, with their pricing, you might be better buying one new from Mitsu.

curt_gendron
11-22-2003, 01:26 PM
Well, I took the spare out and couldn't find an electrical wires for the changer. The only thing under there was the washer bottle and its tubes and wires. Am I making a wrong assumtion that the 96-99 DSMs were prewired for a changer? I know my GSX never had one so it wasn't uninstalled. Could the wiring be hidden behind the paneling?

I've found a used 10 disc changer for $100. But I don't really want to run all the wiring back from the head unit.

I'm kind of spolied with the 3/Ses. All 93+ 3/Ses are prewired. So on the 93-96 3/S you can pick up a used 6 disc changer for $50 and pull up the carpet behind the rear seats and viola, there is your harness. You can install a changer in 5 minutes.

If anyone else has some insight on this, I'd love to hear it.

thanks in advance,
Curt
http://www.mn3s.org

Goat Blower
11-22-2003, 03:24 PM
It's not down in the spare tire area, it comes from behind the passenger side rear plastic panel, below the taillight. It's a black covered harness that's flat, if that makes any sense. I would guess all 97+'s are prewired for it. You're welcome to come and look at mine if you like.

curt_gendron
11-22-2003, 06:53 PM
It must look like this:
http://mn3s.org/PB220090.JPG

Thanks for the help Steve. Looks like this connector has three wires in it and the rest are blank. Got any pics of what the CD changer looks like installed? I may have to buy the install kit, because the one I'm buying is out of a 3000GT.

Thanks again,
Curt

BuildADSM
11-22-2003, 10:43 PM
well it looks like you found it but I was just going to add that yes they all were prewired.

Jana
11-22-2003, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by BuildADSM@Nov 22 2003, 10:43 PM
well it looks like you found it but I was just going to add that yes they all were prewired.
You are mistaken there.....if you didn't choose the option when the car was new, it would not have had any wiring done... My car did not have it, AJ's 95 did, AJ's 97 did not (I believe).

There was no "prewire"...you either get it or you don't. Most people that had the option in their car take it out when they sell it. I looked at a used one that just had the cord back there, so the idiot that took the changer out did just that (the changer only). I could have bought a stock changer and just pluged it in.

Make sense?

AJ
11-22-2003, 10:59 PM
Curt what are you spending on the Changer if you don't mine me asking? YOu may be better off just getting a new in dash deck.

And Jana your correct. My 95 GSX had the CD changer in back, but the dealer didn't even know it was in there when I bought it. My 97 GST never had it.

curt_gendron
11-23-2003, 03:35 PM
I'm getting a used 10 disc Mitsu Changer for $100. Since its already wired, it should be an easy install.

My 97 GSX is prewired and it never had the 10 disc changer on it. I have the original window sticker. The connector in the pic was nicely taped together just below the passenger tail light behind the paneling.

I remember reading years ago that the GSXs were prewired, and my situation proves just that. But I also remember reading that the Talons weren't prewired for the changer.

later,
Curt