PDA

View Full Version : More Computer Help

Pages : [1] 2

Jakey
10-16-2003, 04:40 PM
Lately my computer refuses to complete "Disk Cleanup." I'm running Windows XP Professional. I can start disk cleanup and it will proceed a little ways and then just stop "cleaning," it keeps running but doesn't do anything. Someone told me that I may have a program running somewhere that could cause it to get to a point and then stop running. Any other ideas out there?
Thanks
:headache:

Raptor
10-16-2003, 05:38 PM
Oh no, you have a virus, quick install Unix and it will be gone :razz2:

On a more serious note, I try my best to stay away from winblows in all respects so someone else will have to help you on this one sorry.

Jana
10-16-2003, 06:05 PM
I'm not computer expert, but have you gone out to Windows.com and downloaded/installed all the latest updates/security patches, etc? You'd be suprised how many are out there for XP. I just did that 2 nights ago and I had 22 updates for XP alone. Another 12 for Windows Internet Explorer....

I'm sure some computer guy/gal will come along and tell me that I'm stupid and what I'm telling you has nothing to do with it..... :D

Nash
10-16-2003, 06:07 PM
I'd run a scan for virus'. The samn thing happened to me and I had a virus.

Jana
10-16-2003, 07:53 PM
Yeah, that too... :D

1ViciousGSX
10-16-2003, 08:46 PM
control-alt-delete and go into Windows task manager and close anything that is running. If that doesn't do it, reboot into "Safe Mode" and run it from there. If that doesn't do it, run scan disk or check disc and see if there are any problems. If there are, tell it to schedule a repair and then reboot.

Raptor
10-16-2003, 09:24 PM
format c:

then I have a disk for you to install :rolleyes:

1ViciousGSX
10-16-2003, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by Raptor@Oct 16 2003, 08:24 PM
format c:

then I have a disk for you to install :rolleyes:
:uh: :slap: :headache: :razz2: :stick:

Matt D.
10-16-2003, 11:35 PM
Windows disk cleanup is crap, don't use it. If you have something that needs removing according to what it says, remove it manually. Disk cleanup also likes to "archive" old files that haven't been accessed recently, which all it does is compress randomly old files and then make your computer slow as hell. If disk cleanup runs because you're low on disk space, it's time to delete some stuff.

Raptor
10-17-2003, 12:31 AM
I would start by deleting the windows folder. Lots of worthless crap in there and look at how much space you will have! :idea: