PDA

View Full Version : Replacing Tps

Alpine TSi
11-15-2003, 11:24 PM
So I was driving to work a couple of days ago and noticed that my worthless blinking light gauge(A/F Ratio) was telling me that I was running rich. Normally I wouldn't pay any attention, but I wasn't at WOT. I was right around freeway crusing speed and throttle position. The CE light started to blink and then I got a little worried. I happened to have my laptop with me and plugged it in on the side of 494. My logger told me that it was code 14(Throttle Position Sensor) and that it couldn't clear the code, the light had also gone off.
Nothing happened after that, A/F gauge blinking away like normal, nothing wierd. Now the damn gauge always tells me what would if I were at WOT and the CE light comes on after I come down from a cruising speed. Still TPS error. I am going to change the TPS tomorrow and was wondering if there is anything I need to do other than slap it on there(like calibration, torque,etc) and if there is anything I need to watch out for. While I do it I hope it will get rid of this damn idle surge(just me hoping, because I wish it went away even if I change my oil...)

Thanks in advance, and sorry for the pointless story.

john
11-15-2003, 11:48 PM
Idle is probably due to the BISS oring. It could aslo be due to vaccume leaks. Never had the TPS sensor act up myself so I haven't replaced it yet.

john
11-15-2003, 11:51 PM
BTW, if you have larger injectors and nothing to turn down the a/f mixture (SAFC, VPC), you will always run richer than normal. Doesn't mean that at 15% throttle you would be rich on the a/f gauge though.