PDA

View Full Version : Need Help!

enasnitsi
09-12-2004, 01:24 AM
I just replaced the fuel pump because it was the old one wasn't working but now this one doesn't work either and I rewired the fuel pump when I installed it. The power from the batter to the relay is good but the original power that went to the harness doesn't have any power to it. I have checked all the fuses and can't seem to find anything. Do any of you guys have any ideas or if you are in the Bloomington, Richfield area and you wanted to stop by and take a look that would be great. I think I need a second person to look it over to see if I missed something.
Thanks

john
09-12-2004, 01:34 AM
The wiring is messed up then. If the fuel pump was not recieving a power, it will not turn on the relay. I would check the wire going to the pump (power on the stock wiring). See if it is getting power while the car is on. Also check your MPI fuse in the engine bay.

Halon
09-12-2004, 01:52 AM
This might sound dumb, but you did have the key turned to the on position when you checked for power in the harness right?

john
09-12-2004, 02:08 AM
Also, try and run a jumper wire to the pump and see if it pumps.

enasnitsi
09-12-2004, 08:51 PM
Oh I forgot to put the key in. I didn't know you were suppose to do that when you start the car. Yeah thanks for your great words of wisdom.

Does anyone know where the fuel pump relay is because I ran a jumper wire and then the pump works so it has to be something in the factory wiring making the relay not open. Any advice that will actually help me would be great.

Thanks

Halon
09-12-2004, 10:15 PM
Alright f#$* you then. I don't know how many times I've had a problem where it ended up being something so simple I just overlooked. You said you had no voltage at the harness, and the key needs to be in the on position for power to be there which will energize the relay and allow the voltage from your rewire job to pass. So maybe when you quick made that check you had the key in to off position on accident. Sorry I have no idea how to troubleshoot though, it's not like I troubleshoot electronics everyday at work right? :razz2: Forgive me for trying to aid you, i promise it'll never happen again. Good luck gettin your shit fixed smartass.

niterydr
09-12-2004, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by enasnitsi@Sep 12 2004, 07:51 PM
Oh I forgot to put the key in. I didn't know you were suppose to do that when you start the car. Yeah thanks for your great words of wisdom.

Does anyone know where the fuel pump relay is because I ran a jumper wire and then the pump works so it has to be something in the factory wiring making the relay not open. Any advice that will actually help me would be great.

Thanks
brandon was just starting at the beginning of the 'diagnosis' process, which is 'did you do the test right?'.
Anywho, the mpi relay is located underneath the factory radio, on the passanger side kick panel. Check for power going to it (ecu) and power leaving it (to the pump), there should be your answer as to what the problem is.

enasnitsi
09-13-2004, 10:06 AM
Well I finally found the MFI relay but I don't know if its bad or not. I turned on the key and the relay had power coming in but the wire for the fuel pump doesn't have any power to it. But I'm not sure if it only has power when you try to start it or all the time. If there isn't power to that wire then the relay is probably bad then.