PDA

View Full Version : Rear Defrost

Mike_91_TSi
11-11-2003, 06:16 PM
The metal tab that attaches that to the glass has detached from the damn glass. It looks like it was either glued or soldered on. Is there anyway to reattach this?

Thanks!

Mike Ert
91 TSi

JET
11-11-2003, 06:27 PM
It is actually a type of solder. It is pretty similar to silver solder. I would give that a try.

john
11-11-2003, 07:48 PM
That happened to mine a while ago. I soldered it back on. It took me a while though. I used regular electrical solder. Had trouble getting it to stick. Damn thing would always come loose after I let go. It would save a lot of time if you had someone help you. Maybe find a better solder also (silver solder). I have only heard of using silver solder on radiators though.

LightningGSX
11-11-2003, 10:30 PM
You can use conductive epoxy too.

Raptor
11-11-2003, 10:32 PM
If someone is using silver solder on a radiator, they have a larger bankroll than me. Silver solder is actually made with silver and is much more expensive than regular solder. Most people use regular lead/tin solder for radiators. With the back window, There are safer methods than trying to connect it with a soldering iron. check this site out for an easier fix.

defroster repair (http://www.frostfighter.com/ff_press.htm)

john
11-11-2003, 10:42 PM
wish I would have glued it. Soldering that was a bitch doing it alone (holding tab, solder, and iorn).

Mike_91_TSi
11-12-2003, 12:11 AM
Well damn. While the last 2 posts came in I was in the garage. I did get it reattached with solder. I did also have trouble making it stick until i juiced it up with some flux(sp). Then it was all good. If this fails again I will try the glue.

john
11-12-2003, 11:42 PM
HA HA HA HA. Same thing happened me. I didn't think of using flux when I did it though :headache: . Atleast it is back on there. Mine has held for probly 8 months so far.

Matt D.
11-13-2003, 02:47 AM
Flux is a necessity when soldering. It allows the solder to flow better, adheres better to what you're soldering and it hardens better than if you didn't use it.

john
11-13-2003, 12:46 PM
Yeah, I always end up using new wires so I never solder. They aren'y dirty at all.