PDA

View Full Version : Battery/alt Issues

FORSFED
08-17-2004, 11:10 PM
Well, I just picked up CVD's car and am a little stumped with this one. Alt wasn't charging the Bat. Alt tested out bad so I put a different one in. Now the Alt is charging at 14.4V and the voltage at the battery remains low at 12V. The alt fuse isn't blown nor is the alt relay bad. What else could be wrong? Battery shot already even if it's a new one?

BTW - It's a 92 NT 2.0

CVD
08-17-2004, 11:35 PM
Yeah, I've tried recharging those batt's after they go totally dead with no luck. You can get it warranty replaced for free at any wal mart.

The starter is a known good one replaced only ~200 miles ago.

Like I said though, if the alt doesnt get you anywhere, check all the wiring.

:goodluck:

-Chris

FORSFED
08-17-2004, 11:38 PM
I might have misunderstood you, but did you get a new battery in there before yesterday or was that one just recharged when I picked it up? I didn't dig deep into the wiring, but what I saw had no problems.... Also, that old alt you gave me was tested ok by NAPA so I threw it back in instead of the other one.

CVD
08-18-2004, 01:13 AM
Yeah, the battery was brand new. I picked it up yesterday and gave it one test start before you came, ran the car for maybe 20-30 seconds to make sure everything was in order.

JustROLLIN
08-18-2004, 01:16 PM
Yeah, I would say check the output cable from the alt to the battery. Ohm test and it should not have more than .3 drop, tops.

FORSFED
08-18-2004, 08:33 PM
Ok, no more worries. I found the main power wire that runs from the battery to the alt fuse had come off of the positive terminal and was hanging loose. Now with that hooked up there is power to that junction and the alt charges the bat and all the interior electronics work that didn't before.