PDA

View Full Version : Boosting Issue?

Anduinlight
08-14-2004, 12:41 AM
quick question,
I was just wondering if it was normal for when I am boostin in like say 1st gear I can't hear my turbo spool, my guage says I'm at 15lbs but I can't hear it, once i shift into 2nd and spool, I can hear the normal scream comming from my turbo,
also fine 3rd and 4th. but when I'm in 5th, its the same as 1st, guage says i'm running 15lbs, but I can't hear the spool, and I also don't get that kick when it normally spools
I know that 1st and 5th aren't really power gears and maybe shouldn't boost alot in them, but I don't know why it says i'm at 15lbs but I don't feel or hear it
I currently have a small 16g and a typeX boost guage that cam with the car, I know the boost guage is hooked into the black, with blue stripes hose.
everything else in the car is stock, except for the aluminum intake pipe, my 4" muffler back, and my test pipe for a cat (thank you old owner)
I was just wondering if this was a normal thing, and If not, what should I do to fix it???
please help :jammin:

Matt D.
08-14-2004, 01:07 AM
Different gears put different loads on the engine, which will affect the amount of air consumed at different RPMs, which in all will affect how your turbo spools. Just because you can't hear your turbo doesn't mean it isn't working.

john
08-14-2004, 01:39 AM
It's working. 1st gear just winds up very quickly. It only lasts about a second in my car. As far as 5th gear goes, assuming you do not bog the hell out of it, it is pretty much going to spool right as you tap the gas. A 16g is not laggy at all and there is a quite a bit of load on the engine in 5th. By the time the turbo is finally spooling/spooled, you should be going fast enough not to even hear the turbo. The wind will be louder.

Anduinlight
08-14-2004, 07:08 PM
alright, cool

1slowdsm
08-14-2004, 10:45 PM
Well since this is a Boosting Issue, I have a question of my own if you dont mind me putting it in here.

I have a TurboXS HPBC which is hooked up to my BOV line and my Wastegate Actuator. I went on the TurboXS site and it told me how to pre set it, so I did what it says and hooked it up like it says. But when I go WOT, the boost is unlimited. *I was driving yesterday night and forgot about the unset BC and went from 4th into 2nd and then the car felt really weird and weak and when I looked at the Boost Guage it read over 25 psi on a 14B. That blew off my custom BOV pipe my cousin made to replace the stock BOV. I thought I blew my turbo or as worst my turbo, then I found the loose connecting and put it back and went home.
Anyways, back to topic. Does anyone have the same BC that I have but in working order? It sucks to be driving when you cant go past half throttle or else it over boosts and the weird thing is that I havent hit Boost Cut once yet...

Matt D.
08-14-2004, 11:46 PM
Make sure you don't have the boost controller on backwards. If it is backwards it will do exactly like you described. Also try backing out the boost controller until it almost falls out. That will give you only 8psi or so if it is hooked up correctly.