PDA

View Full Version : Owning The Weather

Pages : [1] 2

LightningGSX
08-07-2004, 05:07 PM
I watched a very cool show last night on the Science channel called "Owning the Weather".It was about the possibilities of mankind controlling the weather.During the Vietnam war the US actually caused rain over the various parts of Vietnam.They successfully used cloud seeding techniques, releasing various chemicals and impurities such as ash from planes, in an attempt to flood the Ho Chi Min trail.I guess it was common enough that there is an international treaty preventing use of weather for purposes of war.

They also talked about our governments HAARP in Alaska.This is a huge array of antennas capable of heating a 400 mile area of the ionosphere to 50,000 degrees.They had an interview with the guy who holds the patent on the technology behind HAARP, he was also contracted by the government to build it.Anyway according to him, the HAARP could be used to destroy aiborne missiles, take out all communications over entire countries, and among other things, shift the jetstream.

Shifting the jet stream could lead to endless possibilities in controlling the weather.It could change temperatures, steer hurricanes, as wells as produce storms and tornadoes accurately over specific locations.They even talked about an accusation published in Scientific American(a very reliable magazine), which blamed HAARP for a unexplained shift in the gulf stream above Alaska, which caused tornadoes in Florida years back.

Jakey
08-07-2004, 06:09 PM
My vote goes towards leaving mother nature alone and my opinion on that extends all the way to stem cell research, just leave things the way they were meant to be.

93laserawd
08-07-2004, 10:30 PM
I wonder if they could cause a tornado to shut Jake up? :banana:

LightningGSX
08-08-2004, 04:49 AM
Originally posted by Jakey@Aug 7 2004, 05:09 PM
My vote goes towards leaving mother nature alone and my opinion on that extends all the way to stem cell research, just leave things the way they were meant to be.
Leaving mother nature alone would include not going to the doctor when your sick/injured, not getting vaccines, etc.Could go as far as not using over the counter antibiotics etc.We have already screwed with mother nature so much at this point that human evolution is about dead in its tracks.At least the end result of stem cell research far outweighs any level of wrongness.

Bottomline- Its pretty much human nature to fuck with everything we can, so be it.

finch63tsi
08-08-2004, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by 93laserawd@Aug 7 2004, 09:30 PM
I wonder if they could cause a tornado to shut Jake up? :banana:
OWNED!! that is so cool , if only they could get the damn weather right

it was not supposed to rain all day yesterday and then look at it it rained all day

:censored: !!!!

Pushit2.0
08-08-2004, 01:30 PM
As said in the matrix, we are more like a virus then anything else.

~John

Jakey
08-08-2004, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by LightningGSX+Aug 8 2004, 04:49 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (LightningGSX @ Aug 8 2004, 04:49 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Jakey@Aug 7 2004, 05:09 PM
Leaving mother nature alone would include not going to the doctor when your sick/injured, not getting vaccines, etc.Could go as far as not using over the counter antibiotics etc.We have already screwed with mother nature so much at this point that human evolution is about dead in its tracks.At least the end result of stem cell research far outweighs any level of wrongness.

Bottomline- Its pretty much human nature to fuck with everything we can, so be it. [/b][/quote]
In my mind there is a distinct difference between something like medications or visiting the doctor compared to something as extreme as stem cell research. If they're so closely related, why is it that visiting the doctor is not controversial but stem cell research is an issue so controversial that is it the topic of Presidential campaign messages?

CVD
08-08-2004, 05:31 PM
Because people are ignorant.

LightningGSX
08-08-2004, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by Jakey@Aug 8 2004, 02:10 PM
If they're so closely related, why is it that visiting the doctor is not controversial but stem cell research is an issue so controversial that is it the topic of Presidential campaign messages?
Its really not closely related, but its all generally messing with nature.Actually I don't really have a clue why stem cell research is so controversial.I don't know if its the possibilty of cloning, or that the cells come from fetuses, or maybe religious issues? I really can't see anything wrong with it.

Anduinlight
08-08-2004, 08:56 PM
well since we're talking about the whole stem cell thing (I'm going to not attempt to turn this into a debate...but)
The reason that the whole stem cell thing is so contoversial is because when you pull the stem cells from the fertilized egg, the rest of it dies, so in essence you kill something that could have been a person givin enough time (goes along with the whole abortion thing)
pro- life people are against it