PDA

View Full Version : Pitted Rims

jpretz
11-09-2003, 01:39 AM
I have a 1991 Talon NT and the front rims on it just suck. They are pitted very bad. I am trying to sell my car and the rims look horrible. I was looking into paining them but the pitting would still show. Is there somethign i can do to get rid of the pitting?

Thanks,

Jayme :3gears:

Iceman
11-09-2003, 01:52 AM
Im not sure what pitting is but i would try sanding it down. :brownnoser:

1ViciousGSX
11-09-2003, 08:52 AM
Sand and polish

MATCHBX
11-09-2003, 09:06 AM
If you are talking about the corrosion pits from salt and such (the reason I do not let tire places put wheel weights on the outside lip of the rim) then you will need to sand them down, polish them and repaint. The thing I used when i did my crx rims was a 3" Roloc pad on a die grinder. If you use it though, you have to be real careful not to take off too much material from the rim. You could also use a scotchbrite (3M) pad and do it by hand. Once you get done, make sure you wash off the rim thoroughly before painting and dry it off. Mask off the tire and valve stem so you don't get any overspray on it. Then give her a few good thin coats of paint to get a good finish. After it dries for a day, spray clearcoat on it to seal it up and give it a good shine. Make sure the clearcoat that you use is for the type of paint that you use. Otherwise it could bubble up on you.

If done right, the rim will look brand new.

slowbubblecar
11-10-2003, 06:50 AM
You could bring it to a wheel shop to do it for you. There is one on hopkins I know of, or you could do what I would do. Get another wheel.

A//// Guy
11-10-2003, 12:41 PM
I refinished my wheels by sanding the crap out of them by hand and also with a circular 3M scotch pad on a drill...

Then painted around 5-7 coats of metallic silver flake paint and put a wheel clear coat on them and they look great, the only bad part is the aluminum lip that was hard to smooth out from corrosion from the wheel weights.

I tried letting them do a static balance (no weights onthe outside of the rim) but 3 of my wheels are bent so it didnt work...

Now I have the weights back on the front but I waxed the wheels up and greased where the weights go.

Good luck.

jpretz
11-22-2003, 12:25 AM
[QUOTE]awd1dr Posted on Nov 9 2003, 09:06 AM
then you will need to sand them down, polish them and repaint.[QUOTE]

what do u mean polish?

MATCHBX
11-23-2003, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by jpretz@Nov 22 2003, 12:25 AM
[QUOTE]awd1dr Posted on Nov 9 2003, 09:06 AM
then you will need to sand them down, polish them and repaint.[QUOTE]

what do u mean polish?
What I meant was make sure that there are no rough spots, dimples or grooves in it. Otherwise they will show through after you paint them. I forgot to tell you to scuff them with 1000 grit sandpaper after you polish them to get the paint to stick better. Just make sure that they are clean of dust, dirt and grease before you paint. This will give you a better finish.

There are more things that can be done to get a perfect finish but I'm not that educated on it entirely. I know that you should probably wet sand with 1500 grit sandpaper between each coat (after the coat of paint dries totally), but any more than that I'm not sure. This would ensure a perfectly smooth finish when all is done.