PDA

View Full Version : Timing Belt(s) - Which one do you run?

Pages : [1] 2

DSMINMN
10-01-2014, 10:24 PM
As I am putting together this build sheet and look to the timing part it has left me curious what belt everyone else runs or prefers. This obviously depends on many different factors. Horsepower being one of the largest.

So I present the question:

Which timing belt do you run?

I know Kevlar belts are a big plus for not stretching such as the OEM belts do. With the exception of the OEM Kevlar backed Evo. IX timing belt 1145A038.

Many people like the Gates racing T167RB1 and/or the "alleged" relabeled Power Enterprise belt. I also hear a lot about the (in my opinion), overpriced Greddy 13534500. I haven't heard many but I do recall some people saying they go for the above mentioned Evo. IX belt as a cheaper alternative to the "expensive" racing timing belts out there.

Anyway, I'm curious to hear what everyone else runs. Thanks for reading!

turbotalon1g
10-01-2014, 11:51 PM
I've run OEM and gates part store brand. All seem to be oil resistant and work.

carltalon
10-02-2014, 04:52 AM
I've always run OEM. But on my current motor I'm running the gates OEM replacement because of the lower cost and reading great reviews of it on the DSMlink forums.

b00sted_spyder
10-02-2014, 05:42 AM
HKS because it's purple and expensive.

goodhart
10-02-2014, 08:47 AM
OEM or Gates equivalent

Kracka
10-02-2014, 09:07 AM
OEM Mitsu or the black Gates OEM-equivalent; same with the tensioner. No reason to run any of these fancy pretty color belts, plus I've heard of them causing issues b/c they're too stiff.

curt_gendron
10-02-2014, 09:25 AM
In the 3/S world a lot of people are running the Gates kevlar belts. Since my 3/Ses do a lot of sitting, I've switched to the kevlar belt on my Spyder. Rubber degrades a lot faster.

later,
Curt

Goat Blower
10-02-2014, 09:34 AM
OEM only. My car doesn't get enough miles to worry about a 200k mile belt.

Shane@DBPerformance
10-02-2014, 11:26 AM
I run OEM. I have had failures one cars with the blue Gates balance shaft belts multiple times.

DSMINMN
10-02-2014, 12:35 PM
I only ask this as I want to save some money but I in no way want to risk the longevity of the engine I am building in school. I'd much rather spend that little bit more and more I'm covered than cheap out just to pay later. This engine is by no means going to be stock nor will the word cheap be used. Haha

I'd also like to ask the experienced about whether they've ran the OEM Kevlar and liked it or not. I ask this as it is seeming like one of the better options to go with for what I want.

Thanks for the responses guys. Feel free to keep them coming as well!