PDA

View Full Version : OEM or quiet muffler

Pages : [1] 2

dogwhistle
01-10-2014, 06:01 PM
So I'm currently running a 3" to 4" can on a straight through 3" turbo back exhaust and it sounds good but drones a bit much in the cold mornings and on the highway. I am looking for anything that is quiet in the 3" inlet side of life. Thanks!

-Adam
612.8O2.24OO

Twitch
01-10-2014, 08:30 PM
I have a 3" in 3" out resonator id be willing to get rid of. Should help a bit.

Goat Blower
01-10-2014, 09:11 PM
To be reasonably quiet, you need a good muffler and a big resonator. I bought a new muffler this winter to quiet mine down a lot, but it's still straight 3" through.

Bad Omen Racing
01-10-2014, 09:32 PM
I have an idea!! Straight pipe...

dogwhistle
01-10-2014, 11:19 PM
I have a 3" in 3" out resonator id be willing to get rid of. Should help a bit.

Will it fit along side my driveshaft? or where does it go? I am interested in this for sure.

To be reasonably quiet, you need a good muffler and a big resonator. I bought a new muffler this winter to quiet mine down a lot, but it's still straight 3" through.

Yea makes sense, I'll be looking more at that setup I think.

I have an idea!! Straight pipe...

Lol, Ben my neighbors and my headaches would certainly advocate otherwise but if that were possible I'd say bumper dump or side pipe...

Goat Blower
01-11-2014, 09:41 AM
Yes, I have a 24" long, 5" diameter muffler right where the car went. It's a tight fit, but it doesn't rub on anything. I had a Thermal Research muffler in the back, but it's a little loud for my taste. I've got a new Vibrant on the floor next to it, now that it's warmed up a bit, I'll get out there and weld it in.

dogwhistle
01-11-2014, 09:49 AM
Yes, I have a 24" long, 5" diameter muffler right where the car went. It's a tight fit, but it doesn't rub on anything. I had a Thermal Research muffler in the back, but it's a little loud for my taste. I've got a new Vibrant on the floor next to it, now that it's warmed up a bit, I'll get out there and weld it in.

Ahhh I see. Well I'll take a look and do some measurements and see what I can squeeze in.

Trogdor
01-11-2014, 09:41 PM
http://www.maperformance.com/blog/universal-exhaust-damper-quiets-3-exhaust-systems-electronically/

dogwhistle
01-12-2014, 10:42 PM
http://www.maperformance.com/blog/universal-exhaust-damper-quiets-3-exhaust-systems-electronically/

I saw that Bobby and I'm tempted for something upfront and then just use a smaller diameter "cat" back with stock resonator and muffler, and up front run bumper dump... or open down somewhere. Hmm

Trogdor
01-13-2014, 08:35 AM
I like my open dump. With a big enough turbo its only mega obnoxious when you want it to be.