PDA

View Full Version : Assistance diagnosing a no start issue

Pages : [1] 2

97gsexx
08-26-2013, 10:28 PM
Hey guys, so I put my car together and am not having luck getting it to start. It doesn't tick, turn over, or attempt to start in any way. Also, my left turn signal doesn't stop flashing no matter what position the switch is in. The right turn signal doesn't work at all except for when I turn my hazards on. Took the steering column off and examined switch/harness/wires and everything looks good. Pulled the stereo and checked the relays and everything looks good as far as I know. I have read that the switch itself can cause this so maybe I will just order one. Starter is plugged in and grounded, however it doesn't make a sound or do anything when I try to start it.

I then did more research and came across a similar issue and the culprit was the anti theft system. So I tried opening the door, locking it allowing the security light to come on, then closed it, then unlocked it from the outside to turn the system off and still no luck.

I just installed a black top cas and 6 bolt swap harness as well. The previous owner had the metal top style cas and wired it in instead of using the harness that plugs into the crank sensor connector. I cut the three wires that were wired into it when I removed the metal top cas and then cut the a/c connector sensor since I am not using it, and then wired the three wires into it and plugged the other end of the cas harness into the a/c sensor to replace the crank sensor connector because there isn't one on the car. I connected the white wire to the blue wire and followed the instructions on the magnus site. Car still doesn't start.

I have honestly tried everything I can think of and would really appreciate it if you guys could give me a suggestion on what to check or possibly lend me a hand diagnosing the issue. I would gladly throw some $ your way and of course supply the beer. My car has been dead for a while and just really need to get it out of my buddy's garage and have a car to drive to work and school. Thanks a lot!

CornFed2.4
08-26-2013, 10:38 PM
Battery?

Have the black spade connector on the starter? Starter ground? Starter jumper pluged in from main harness to starter?

Since your saying its not cranking I would start at the power supply and check all power and grounds are in place.

dsmghost
08-26-2013, 10:44 PM
Yes you are going to need a multi meter and some wiring diagrams. Start with the starter circuit so you can get it cranking.

97gsexx
08-26-2013, 10:53 PM
Jumped the battery and was over 14.0 volts when attempting to start it.

Starter is grounded to a tranny bolt, Starter jumper is plugged in from main harness to starter, and I believe the black spade connector is on the starter but I can verify that tomorrow when I go over to work on it.

I am thinking it has to be something starter related. Thanks for the suggestions, I will go recheck all that stuff tomorrow!

CornFed2.4
08-26-2013, 11:00 PM
Here's help on the crank sensor. Since your now using the a/c plug make sure you put the right color where they need to be.

CPS
http://i824.photobucket.com/albums/zz167/Cornfed4G64/null_zps95062d72.jpg

A/C
http://i824.photobucket.com/albums/zz167/Cornfed4G64/null_zps089fef63.jpg

black to red
Blue w/stripe to green with stripe
White to black

That is if I'm following what you actually did.

I'm assisting you cut the plug off the ac then wire that on the engine harness in place of the cas.

dsmreck
08-26-2013, 11:34 PM
if the spade connector is not connected to the starter it will do nothing but kick your fuel pump on.

97gsexx
08-27-2013, 08:00 AM
Cornfed: Yes that is exactly how I have it hooked up. I left about 6 inches of wire after the a/c plug and soldered the wires from the plug to the three wires he originally had wires into the cas. The previous owner used three green wires that connected to the cas that was originally on the car and wired the other side of the wires into the car (they are wrapped up with other wires and head to the fire wall. I am assuming they're hooked up correctly because the other cas worked. I measured the three green wires to determine which one was the power, ground, and the wire that was left over I wired into the last wire that wasn't being used on the a/c connector (already wired in the power and ground in the correct spot so they would line up with the power and ground prongs on the other end of the 6 bolt swap harness) that would connect to the prong on the 6 bolt swap harness which has a yellow wire going from that end, into the the other side of the harness which connects to the cas. I measured the prongs on the a/c connector after I soldered the three green wires to the wires on the connector and got the same readings as I did from each each individual wire so I am assuming it will work.

Sorry if that doesn't make sense, I tried to explain it the best I could lol. I get off work at 1 and then can post up some pics that show how I have everything wired up so you can get a better understanding of what I am dealing with. I do not have much experience at all with wiring/electrical systems so bare with me if I sound like an idiot lol. I am learning more and more everyday with this car and it's issues though, that's for sure.

I am thinking that I have to have the starter wired up wrong or am missing a connection. I know for a fact that I have the ground hooked up to a tranny to block bolt. Literally nothing happens or changes at all when I attempt to start the car. I found a diagram that I can use as a reference when I get home to conclude that I have everything hooked up correctly:

http://i1215.photobucket.com/albums/cc505/blue_dreamer24v/1Gstarter.jpg (http://s1215.photobucket.com/user/blue_dreamer24v/media/1Gstarter.jpg.html)

"The 1G starter looks like this and only has two connections. The starter "S" terminal (spade connector) from the starter relay and the "B" terminal (bolt) to the battery positive terminal. The ground is provided by the bolts into the bellhousing.

The magnetic switch is what most of us would call the starter solenoid. The "M" terminal is the output of the magnetic switch that connects the starter motor to the battery (via the B terminal). When you apply 12v to the "S" terminal it shorts the "B" and "M" contacts."

During the trans removal/install I had the starter resting on the subframe and it sometimes fell off when messing with the rear mount, thus hanging by the wires so maybe something came disconnected in the process. I will check it out when I get off work. Thanks a lot for your help guys, I will include updates later today!

p.s. sorry for the novel

97gsexx
08-27-2013, 08:39 AM
Just to verify, in the picture below, is the black connector that sits over the power cord the spade connector?

http://i1215.photobucket.com/albums/cc505/blue_dreamer24v/blackspade2222.jpg (http://s1215.photobucket.com/user/blue_dreamer24v/media/blackspade2222.jpg.html)

If so, I do remember looking at that yesterday wondering if it goes anywhere. It is currently hanging freely and is not connected to anything. At least a very similar plug is hanging freely in between the starter and firewall. Hmmm

dsmghost
08-27-2013, 08:45 AM
Lol yes connect that

97gsexx
08-27-2013, 09:01 AM
Lol I am almost positive that I don't have that connector hooked up. This is my first time removing the tranny and failed to look at what all of the wires/plugs went to on the starter before I removed it assuming everything would still be connected when I installed it. It must of came disconnected when it fell off the subframe when I was installing the rear mount. Well now I know :). I really hope that is it. Ahhh the suspense, i have to wait until I get off work at 1 to check and see if that is indeed the culprit to this whole thing.