PDA

View Full Version : New advice on buying a new car

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

HiImBrian
01-28-2012, 02:08 PM
Just got a new job out in Denver and I'm looking to replace my 98 2.5rs. I'll be doing a fair amount of customer interaction with my job and I'd like something a little "nicer". Is there anything besides an evo/sti that can give me comparable awd performance under 20k?

I've thought about
Volva s60r
Audi s4
bmw 325

Goat Blower
01-28-2012, 02:21 PM
The S60R is my choice, I've had a few of them and they fit the bill nicely for looking professional while still maintaining a performance feel. They ride smooth as butter in the regular suspension mode.

Fran05
01-28-2012, 02:38 PM
Out of those 3, I'd choose neither. All of them are expensive to work on and will require a lot of maintenance anywhere after 80-90k miles. My dad has a s60r and he has replaced A LOT of shit on it. Active suspension, etc etc. If you get a CEL, you are fucked, it will just go into 5mph limp mode in the middle of the highway. Also limited aftermarket availability. I used to have a e36 M3 and I have replaced quite a bit too. Although it was mostly performance stuff, but just to do the front ball joints, I had to replace both control arms 250$ a piece. Audi s4 of 2000-2001 are a total nightmare to work on. Lets say the clutch or turbo goes, you are looking at like 15+ hours labor.

I'd get a WRX if I were you. Still presentable, lots of potential, easy to work on, best awd system (STi actually has THE best, but wrx is pretty good still) and parts can be easily bought on the aftermarket if something happens.

93gtpeater
01-28-2012, 02:43 PM
i have to agree with fran05. i dont like the boxer motor but the wrx/sti would be the best option.

goodhart
01-28-2012, 03:03 PM
How bout a legacy GT?

HiImBrian
01-28-2012, 03:08 PM
Out of those 3, I'd choose neither. All of them are expensive to work on and will require a lot of maintenance anywhere after 80-90k miles. My dad has a s60r and he has replaced A LOT of shit on it. Active suspension, etc etc. If you get a CEL, you are fucked, it will just go into 5mph limp mode in the middle of the highway. Also limited aftermarket availability. I used to have a e36 M3 and I have replaced quite a bit too. Although it was mostly performance stuff, but just to do the front ball joints, I had to replace both control arms 250$ a piece. Audi s4 of 2000-2001 are a total nightmare to work on. Lets say the clutch or turbo goes, you are looking at like 15+ hours labor.

I'd get a WRX if I were you. Still presentable, lots of potential, easy to work on, best awd system (STi actually has THE best, but wrx is pretty good still) and parts can be easily bought on the aftermarket if something happens.

The blue interior on the sti makes me sick. Otherwise an sti would be on the list. I understand that a wrx would be an affordable choice and it's an option as well I guess.

I'm looking to add to my list, not just pick one of the three :)

How bout a legacy GT?
Also an option. I think I'd have to drive one to really appreciate one.

niterydr
01-28-2012, 03:16 PM
G35x with bolt-ons?
CTS-V?

Halon
01-28-2012, 03:30 PM
Speed 6.

Otherwise you can just get a DD that is strictly a DD like many of us. Something like an AWD Fusion, won't leave you stranded, is newer so shouldn't require a lot of work... Then get something on the side to play with.

CornFed2.4
01-28-2012, 03:31 PM
R32?

Also if you truly have 20k why not just get an EVO? Prolly best bang for the buck,4 doors for planned and unplanned parenthood, ect... LOL

Trogdor
01-28-2012, 03:40 PM
Have you considered a Lancer Ralliart or the regular WRX? New both are starting in the low 20's. So if 20 is a hard limit, you could probably could find a low miles used for just under that.

Edit: I should probably read all of the posts before responding, lol. But yeah, if the WRX is something you're looking at, you should definitely look a Ralliart, Evo's little brother.