PDA

View Full Version : Rust prevention in Winter?

xaisomboun
10-03-2011, 01:32 AM
Not sure if this went in the right area, but what are some of your guys' tricks to keep rust off of our cars? Or better yet any car!

As many of you know, Winter is coming up and Im trying to gather up the best ideas for rust prevention in the winter.

I drive a 92 Galant VR-4 as a DD and I dont have the option of storing it in the winter as some of you folks do..

So lets hear it! Tips and tricks!

C3L1CA
10-03-2011, 08:07 AM
When I had my evo I would wash it at least once a week, and if it was super cold i would go to a touchless car wash with the under spray option. I would always try to go to the self service car washes though and make sure to get up under the wheel wells and spray under the car really good.

The cleaner you can keep it, the better.

curt_gendron
10-03-2011, 11:07 AM
Put a good coat of wax or paint sealant on it before the snow flies. I usually even wax the door jams, under the hatch and the engine bay. And then as soon as we are done with the salt season, then give it a good wash, including the underside and the engine bay.

I just bought a new Infiniti G37 that I plan to drive through winter. I'm going to even try and wax the underside of it. But I'm a little crazier about car care than most. LOL

later,
curt

goodhart
10-03-2011, 04:51 PM
^^Curt is just plain crazy.

My recommendation: Move to Texas. :lol:

Kracka
10-03-2011, 04:57 PM
Wash and wax frequently, and when you do the automatic washes be sure to get the one with underbody spray to rinse the salt off.

bertrenolds5
10-03-2011, 06:53 PM
Park it in the garage for the winter and get a beater car so that when some dumbass that doesn't know how to drive crashes into you it's not your VR-4 that gets totaled!

Shane@DBPerformance
10-03-2011, 06:59 PM
It's a DSM, it should be so covered in oil from leaks that it doesn't rust.

turbotalon1g
10-04-2011, 12:44 PM
^This.