PDA

View Full Version : Putting On O2 Housing

Alpine TSi
10-30-2003, 11:05 PM
So I got myself a ported 2G O2 Housing and am getting ready to put it on tomorrow. I was wondering if there were any small things I needed to do while doing this. And how it would be best done. I have two manuals along with the Chrysler service manual, would I be best just to follow them? Any normal maintenace I need to do down there?

I am also going to attempt to replace the cams in there too and was wondering if there was a way to do it without having to do the timing belt all over again. One person hinted at a way to pull the t-belt up towards the hood with a bungee cord, but I don't remember it all.

Any help and tips would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

john
10-31-2003, 07:07 AM
Make sure you get new gaskets for the o2 housing and downpipe. The easiest way would probly be to take the radiator fan out (on the left side of the engine, unscrew the o2 sensor, disconnect the downpipe, then get at the bolts from the top or bootom as you can. I have only replaced it myself by taking out the turbo though even though it is not needed. There may be an easier way. I have ever replaced cams though... I had Rick change mine when he was doing the t belt. You may want to take the ones I gave you off the gears and the same with your old ones. Then you can just slide them in and not have to worry about the timing (I think). Never done it before though.

At-Least-It's-An-Evo
10-31-2003, 09:30 AM
For the o2 housing, its not necessary to get new gaskets, the old ones are usually fine. You'll know if you look at them when you take it off. The o2 sensor is sometimes a pain to get off but having a o2 sensor socket comes in handy. You could if you wanted, replace the o2 sensor at the same time if you want. Other than that it's pretty self explanitory and a manual really isn't needed, its 4 bolts and two nuts and a o2 sensor.

As for the cams, just zip tie the timing belt to cam gears tightly, bungee the timing belt/cam gear assembly to the hood, to keep it tensioned up. takthe the gears off, replace the cams and undo what you did. That's what I've seen Shayne Extranomeat do the few times I've watched him do 'em. Add sommore info if need be Shane. ;)

Shane@DBPerformance
10-31-2003, 10:39 AM
You need a "tensioner tool" to release some of the tension on the timing belt, to do the bungee cord trick. Do one at a time also.

Alpine TSi
10-31-2003, 08:59 PM
You need a "tensioner tool" to release some of the tension on the timing belt

Is this the same tool that VFAQ goes in depth on building?