PDA

View Full Version : misfire on cylinder 4 with AEM, 1990 DSM coilpack setup

FattyBoomBatty
01-17-2011, 10:56 PM
It's pretty consistent and changing injector plugs from one to the other doesn't change it. When I lay a plug on the turbo and crank it, it sparks fine, but doesn't fire in the engine.

Compression is fine, timing is fine, it sounds exactly like Jungy's car in this thread:
http://www.mitsustyle.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27943

I've checked a bunch of stuff, tried logging which doesn't show anything, turned off each injector, that didn't change it really, I tried turning off the coils in AEM, but that didn't seem to work. It's wired like a DSM, I never cut the Coil or power transistor wires, they are all stock.

Bad power transistor? I tried new coils with no change.

Pushit2.0
01-18-2011, 10:15 AM
Do you have compression? Try swapping injectors around, I have a few transistor packs also, we can do an even trade for the coils you did not need.

FattyBoomBatty
01-18-2011, 03:10 PM
I swapped injectors four and two. No change, #4 is wet, and #3 is almost as wet. I am starting to think power transistor, which after unwrapping the wire tape to it and the coil plug, I realize is just a dang switch that changes between coil 1 and 2. So I am really leaning toward the transistor at this moment. I could make one last change, and that would be to switch the wire leads to each coil and see if 2&3 misfired. But I think I know how that would end, and it would point to the PT again.

FattyBoomBatty
01-18-2011, 03:23 PM
Also, it's the same condition on both transistors I have. Is it odd that two PT's would fail in the same way? And when they fail, does the system favor the 1&2 coil in all cases?

Goat Blower
01-18-2011, 04:34 PM
Have you tried swapping plug wires around? Sounds like a short in that wire. The transistor generally affects both coils and you get no spark. And if one coil was bad, it would affect 1 and 4, and it would not fire when laying on the turbo.

FattyBoomBatty
01-18-2011, 04:55 PM
I swapped plug wires on 1 and 4, not with other though, I will be trying that very soon. I have some smartypants guys coming over in a minute to help. I'll post what we find.

FattyBoomBatty
01-18-2011, 09:12 PM
Ryan and Kyle fixed it. Everything was working fine, but it was way too rich. I feel kindof dumb for not trying to just lean it out, but when they are more stockish, they idle at 10.5:1 and 11:1. Not so anymore. Thanks for the input though!