PDA

View Full Version : Can't Build Boost

Pages : [1] 2

Alpine TSi
05-04-2004, 09:42 PM
Okay so I was driving home and decided to have some fun with some bikes on 494. Long story short I was running about 18 psi and then noticed it tapered off and from then I couldn't build any boost at all. I did notice that there was a decent amount of white smoke coming out from under the car(not the exhaust). Limping it home I noticed that vacuum is normal and operation is normal, but I am not building any boost. I then inspected all the IC piping and it all seems to be intact, I don't have a boost leak tester to figure out if it is a leak. The couplers I could see were on right. I don't really know what else to check. My boost gauge goes from vacuum to 0, but no higher. Is it possible that it is a really big leak? Head gasket?

Applicable mods are:

PTE FMIC
QPR made 2 1/2" piping
GM 3" MAS in blowthrough

Thanks in advance!

A//// Guy
05-04-2004, 09:51 PM
Where did the white smoke come from? Did your turbo go? What kind of turbo do you have?

Alpine TSi
05-04-2004, 09:57 PM
The smoke came from under the car as I was moving, not just from the tailpipe but from under the entire rear end. I do have an exhaust leak so it may have come from there and then spread.

It is a brand new EVOIII 16G with less than 200 miles on it.

A//// Guy
05-04-2004, 10:02 PM
Are you able to log anything? Are you knocking at all and does the engine sound ok? I know when my timing skipped it wouldnt build boost at all and would knock like mad.

Im not sure but white smoke is usually water/coolant so Im not sure what that could be... I would find out where the smoke came from.. check coolant levels and see if tank is empty otherwise run over things like compression and basics.

Alpine TSi
05-04-2004, 10:07 PM
Alright. I have my logger in my car I can fire it up tomorrow to see. I didn't feel anything out of the normal when it happened so I don't know what is up. After I got home I checked the overflow tank and it was fine, I didn't want to pull the radiator cap right away for obvious reasons.

Yay looks like I get to start driving the minivan again... :razz2:

Jacek
05-04-2004, 10:36 PM
did you hear any sounds, my guess is if you cant build boost at all and blowing smoke then your turbo is shot. check turbo shaft play and freedom of movement.

what did the smoke smell like?

Kracka
05-04-2004, 10:59 PM
Did you get the turbo from a reputable shop?

Raptor
05-04-2004, 11:09 PM
I doubt the turbo is the issue. The turbo is a brand new Evo. If it is white smoke, it is coolant but where it is coming from is the obvious question. To see if the turbo is the culprit, block the water lines to it and see if the smoke stops. If you want, bring it by tomorrow and we can check it out.

JET
05-04-2004, 11:44 PM
It sounds like a turbo to me. Did a line get pinched or anything? Are you sure there was adequate oil to it? Is it running like crap? If it is an IC leak it will run super rich and run like ass because of all the metered air leaking out. If it still runs ok, but just won't build boost, then it is more than likely the turbo.

niterydr
05-04-2004, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by JET@May 4 2004, 10:44 PM
It sounds like a turbo to me. Did a line get pinched or anything? Are you sure there was adequate oil to it? Is it running like crap? If it is an IC leak it will run super rich and run like ass because of all the metered air leaking out. If it still runs ok, but just won't build boost, then it is more than likely the turbo.
I agree with it sounding like a turbo or a huge ic leak.
But in his case, the car wouldn't run like ass, hince one of the advantages/disadvantages of the maf-t..the 'unmetered' air is about 2 feet of ic piping.
Bring it by matt, we'll take a look at it.