PDA

View Full Version : The Best Ten Minutes Of Racing You'll See All Week

Pages : [1] 2

Matt D.
10-26-2010, 02:05 PM
Veteran Holden driver Jamie Whincup tries to hold off rookie Shane Van Ginsbergern in a Ford during the closing laps of The Gold Coast 600. It's bumper-rubbing, corner-slicing V8 Supercar racing at its best.

Thanks to Jalopnik.

FpEp3janpEU

goodhart
10-26-2010, 02:43 PM
Wow. That shit was intense. NASCAR wishes it was that exciting. I'll have to watch the whole thing when I get home.

Matt D.
10-26-2010, 02:56 PM
Wow. That shit was intense. NASCAR wishes it was that exciting. I'll have to watch the whole thing when I get home.
I won't discount NASCAR as most auto racing is boring to watch until it's close to the finish, but with three cars being driven that hard that close together for that long of time, just unreal.

awd-drifter
10-26-2010, 03:00 PM
wowsers. that is quite intense. Especially being that close for that long.

Tachyon
10-26-2010, 03:13 PM
most auto racing is boring to watch until it's close to the finish.

Not Rally ;)

Great video!

goodhart
10-26-2010, 03:16 PM
Not Rally ;)

Great video!

If rally cars raced door to door and not just time trial style, then it would be fun to watch. :D

Matt D.
10-26-2010, 03:34 PM
Not Rally ;)

Great video!
In that aspect autocross is exciting as rally.

goodhart
10-26-2010, 04:27 PM
In that aspect autocross is exciting as rally.

Exactly. Loads of fun to do, not a ton of fun to watch unless you're really into it.

Tachyon
10-26-2010, 04:28 PM
If rally cars raced door to door and not just time trial style, then it would be fun to watch. :D

That's European Rallycross.

Back before Mark Lovell died in a race in 2003 and everybody became safety (and more honestly, litigation) aware overnight, stage rally here in the US was actually quite entertaining to watch. Open class was incredibly fast with a very eclectic group of cars and technology from around the world.

I remember back in 2002, at OFR spectating by Chad's yump and having full factory race cars flying past my head (literally 10 feet away) at speeds in excess of 110mph, getting pelted by stinging gravel and red-hot exhaust gas. The concussion of the antilag pounding you in the chest and trail of flame and sparks as the cars would rip by at eye level... the air putrid with the hanging residue of 110 race fuel...

To this day I have yet to spectate a format of racing that is so viciously organic.

But yea, now spectating rally here in the states kinda blows, as spectators are herded into tiny control zones, a super long way away from the stage.

Super Bleeder!!
10-26-2010, 11:14 PM
fan-fucking-tastic racing