PDA

View Full Version : EGT gauge

Pages : [1] 2

Khadgar
10-30-2003, 03:49 PM
Well I just got my Greddy Boost and EGT gauge that I got for about 220. I want to have somone tap my manifold for me (raptor?). Ive heard of probes breaking off and damaging the exhaust wheel when you tap the manifold. What are you guys opionons on that?

Kracka
10-30-2003, 03:59 PM
Don't worry about it.

Iceman
10-30-2003, 06:18 PM
when drilling into the MAN just start with a small bit (while the engine is running) than work your way up on bit sizes..

The engine SHOULD be running once you reach the inerlayer of the exh man..

Matt D.
10-30-2003, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by Iceman@Oct 30 2003, 06:18 PM
when drilling into the MAN just start with a small bit (while the engine is running) than work your way up on bit sizes..

The engine SHOULD be running once you reach the inerlayer of the exh man..
Why would you drill into the exhaust manifold with the car running? That will send metal bits right into the spinning turbo. This should only be done on non-turbocharged cars.

cudvig
10-30-2003, 07:04 PM
It sounds stupid but thats the ghetto way besides taking the whole manifold and turbo off, which would be a bitch and a half.

CVD
10-30-2003, 07:11 PM
you either want to have the car running to blow the shavings out, or take it off the car before drilling. you do not want to drill with the manni on the car and the car off.

depends on how much you care. i didnt. my turbo is still fine.

dylan
10-30-2003, 07:15 PM
Some of the metal shavings are blown out of the exhaust manifold, in to your eyes. Wear face protection.

Kracka
10-30-2003, 07:46 PM
I tapped mine with the manifold on the car and the car engine off. Just use tapping oil to keep the shavings stuck to the tap then take a Shop-Vac to the manifold when you are done to clean up any small excess.

Enes
10-30-2003, 09:17 PM
I did mine with car iddling, using oil when car is running createssmoke and fumes, so i did it without oil, and started with a smaller bit and a tad bigger and tad bigger than that one.. total of 4 different one's. That way the shavings stay smaller.

i also disconected my DP from the cat so that the shavings do not get lodged in the Cat. The shavings will just slide thru the turbo and you will be fine.

-Enes

AJ
10-30-2003, 09:54 PM
With DSMs it's recommend for the most part to do it with the car on. Some swear by it, some swear to take the mani off, some don't give a fuck. Go figure huh. As far as a place to tap it... Shane did Jana's at Elite and it didn't take long although we did get some custom Shane o mac welding done as well. Rick taps a mean EGT probe, And I am sure Jet, Raptor or anyone with a good drill and bits can do it. If I had a drill worth a shit I'd do it for ya.