PDA

View Full Version : Turbo done for?

Pages : [1] 2

talonite
08-14-2010, 02:42 PM
OK. so I have produced a new sound out of my car that is very un-appealing to me. Its almost like a scream, i thought for sure it was a boost leak, i still think it is, but i cannot find it. Did a boost leak test and the only thing that seems to be leaking is my MBC but it has a little vent on it and has always done it. My car drive just fine, everything seems normal but then i give it some gas and bring up the boost and it sounds like a small animal is lodged somewhere in my engine bay. boost seems to be holding at 14-15lbs. And i just feel like im chasing my tail here. Any suggestions would be apprciated. O by the way I have an evoIII 16g if that makes any difference.

turbotalon1g
08-14-2010, 03:59 PM
Have u checked shaft play on the turbo?

GsXtUrBo98
08-14-2010, 04:19 PM
I'm selling my scm61...:loser:

talonite
08-14-2010, 06:31 PM
Have u checked shaft play on the turbo?

I did there is a tiny bit. I really dont have a comparison of good to bad. but there isnt much.

cudvig
08-14-2010, 06:46 PM
It could be a hole in your manifold.

Do you have a 1g manifold they tend to crack easily...

-Colin

talonite
08-14-2010, 06:59 PM
no its still the 7 bolt manifold just ported. I havent check for cracks though. Didnt really sound like an exhaust leak

turbotalon1g
08-14-2010, 07:03 PM
If you are in teh blaine area. I'm usually at home being a bum an all, I would be happy to help try and diagnose it.

Nartanian
08-14-2010, 07:49 PM
It could be the turbo but I kinda doubt it. I think it would smoke if it was. Also it would build and hold boost irregularly or inconsistantly. I guess checking for play would be the ideal thing. You should have very very little side to side play and no in/out play at all.

talonite
08-14-2010, 07:55 PM
thats what it was. it was a little bit side to side and that was it.
But this is why im still leaning to some sort of boost leak or something. It just doesnt make sense. Its not smoking, its holding boost, its spooling fine, and my car runs ok. But it feels a little sluggish when i wot and makes that sound. im really starting to think it is a very tiny boost leak.

CarPsyco84
08-15-2010, 12:28 PM
heh, you will know when the turbo blows, I have never noticed a noticable driving issue just before the turbo blows either, its most likely a boost leak. I can't count how many times people get told to check for boost leaks, say they just checked it, and then I find out later... it was a boost leak.