PDA

View Full Version : Evo - a quick reliable daily driver?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

C3L1CA
08-02-2010, 06:13 PM
I was hoping you evo guys could help me out a little bit. I currently have a 2g that seems to run for a couple months tops before something breaks and an '01 audi a4 that has 120k miles on it and I'm just worried that when things start need replacing that I'm going to go broke just doing simple maintenance.

Then the idea came up of parting out the 2g, selling the audi, and then maybe picking up an evo. But I'm not sure if it is the way to go and hope some of the evo guys can give their honest opinion if they had to do it over again if they'd pick an evo or get something else. I'm an evo n00b, so anything you can think of please post it up.

Is there an certain mileage where things start needing to be replaced? I know there is the 60k service with the timing belt, but is there anything else major?

I think I could be happy and content with a 400ish @ DB hp evo on corn. Is that too much to expect out of an evo that would be my daily driver?

Is there anything that I should be looking for when looking at possible ones to buy?

Any other info or help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Shane@DBPerformance
08-02-2010, 06:22 PM
400-430awhp on my dyno isn't a problem. It's attainable with bolt-on quick spooling turbos and the stock motor can handle it. The IX is optimal, but they cost a lot more. You want the 5-speed instead of the 6-speed also. The newer the 5-speed the better/more fixes they have. Make sure it shifts smooth, especially into 3rd gear. I have Evos in all the time that grind into 3rd.

They are prone to bent intake valves, so if you have a way to check that... They sometime leak water into the cabin at a harness grommet and then your wiring gets fucked. Schiedes knows all about it.

95talonracer
08-02-2010, 06:27 PM
I have daily driven mine and at 125k I had to do a wheel bearing and a rear control arm bushing but that never made me stranded or anything. Just a quick easy fix. Mine is for sale at a great price too with all the 130k maintenance done!

C3L1CA
08-02-2010, 06:41 PM
400-430awhp on my dyno isn't a problem. It's attainable with bolt-on quick spooling turbos and the stock motor can handle it. The IX is optimal, but they cost a lot more. You want the 5-speed instead of the 6-speed also. The newer the 5-speed the better/more fixes they have. Make sure it shifts smooth, especially into 3rd gear. I have Evos in all the time that grind into 3rd.

They are prone to bent intake valves, so if you have a way to check that... They sometime leak water into the cabin at a harness grommet and then your wiring gets fucked. Schiedes knows all about it.

Glad to know that a bolt on quick spooling turbo can make that kind of power. Hell I remember I got scared when you drove my car after its first tune and it was making 450. haha

Thanks for all the other tips Shane! How are you and Mara liking your evo?

I have daily driven mine and at 125k I had to do a wheel bearing and a rear control arm bushing but that never made me stranded or anything. Just a quick easy fix. Mine is for sale at a great price too with all the 130k maintenance done!
That's not too bad in maintenance at all for 130k. I'll keep you evo in mind if I do end up parting out my 2g.

Keep em coming guys. I'm kinda really thinking about parting out the 2g.

Kracka
08-02-2010, 06:48 PM
I bought my IX at 10k miles and sold it at 53k. I honestly can't think of a single issue I had that wasn't caused by an aftermarket parts failure. Keep all the fluids fresh and stay up on the preventative maintenance. Actually wait, at 43k miles I had a leaky rear differential seal but that was covered under warranty and repaired.

mlomker
08-02-2010, 06:51 PM
For the love of God, buy a IX.

Glad to know that a bolt on quick spooling turbo can make that kind of power.

HTA Green. yummy.

Murlo26
08-02-2010, 06:54 PM
For the love of God, buy a IX.

Are you anti X all the sudden, lol.

I think all the Evo's are awesome cars and you can't go wrong with any of them. I guess the thing I would say is treat it like a DD and mod slow...i fail at this and paid the price for it.

Also remember not to push it too hard, Shane knows the limits of the 4G well though, so you are in good hands.

I vote, yes do it. You can get into the 10's on a stock frame turbo too if you are a good driver, or even on the stock turbo if you are crazy like Ron.

GG_9_SE
08-02-2010, 06:55 PM
I havnt had an issue with my IX ever. As far as anything failing. The occasional boost leak, but im running 30psi through stock IC pipes lol. I should be rolling around to 60k miles by around friday of this week or so. If you plan on making ay power though upgrade the clutch imediatly. Hell my stocker went at 38,xxx miles completely stock. One other thing is if you get an 8 with a stock plastic bov, get a IX metal bov or go SD and a Tial or whateveru like.

Kracka
08-02-2010, 07:00 PM
Clutch longevity really depends on how it's driven; it's very important to remove the restrictor pill ASAP.

C3L1CA
08-02-2010, 07:08 PM
Thanks for all the tips guys!

I'd love to get a 9, but I don't think I can afford it and I don't know if I can justify spending the extra money. I just got out of college recently and with paying back student loans, I don't want to take out a huge car loan. Realistically I think I'd probably be looking for a lower mileage 8, I just want a semi quick daily driver car with everything that works.