PDA

View Full Version : Who's going to win the drivers chamionship???

ABV
10-30-2003, 09:38 AM
Well The final rally of the 2003 FIA world rally championship will be Nov. 6th - 9th in Great Britain. With 4 drivers still in the hunt for the drivers championship, it will make it one of the most exciting rallies of the season. So who's going to win it? The top 3 drivers are seperated by only 1 point. Richard Burns still has a chance at it, but he will have to have some great driving, and a little luck to pull it off. So who's your pick?

Coverage will air on the Speed channel on Sunday Nov. 9th at 8:00 pm. CST. Here's some more info on the rally.

WRC.com (http://www.wrc.com/en_GB/default.htm)

Glorious Mud

Normally the idea of standing on a muddy Welsh hillside in the fog and rain at 6am has little attraction, but for one weekend in November thousands of rally fans put themselves through this punishment to see the world championship finale.

The Rally Great Britain is an unpredictable lottery that normally decides the title fight. Fine weather is almost unheard of, heavy snowfall is a possibility but fog and rain are the most likely.  These conditions tend to favour the British drivers who served their rallying apprenticeship on this type of stage, although 2001 winner Marcus Gronholm has also been mighty in the Welsh forests in recent years.

The rain tends to make the stages extremely slippery, and when the mist descends things get even worse. Visibility can be virtually non-existent, so the drivers need to have complete faith in their pace notes for they will be committing to corners almost blind on occasion.

The short daylight hours of British winters add another unpredictable element to a rally that really doesn't need any more unknown quantities. The last few stages of each day will take place in deceptive twilight conditions, almost as treacherous as the morning mists. The Welsh forests may not be the most glamorous location to decide the championship, but the stages certainly provide a fitting challenge for the drivers.

CVD
10-30-2003, 10:17 AM
Speed still covers rally? I NEVER see it on, and they never do re-runs anymore on REAL racing. All I ever see is Nascar, and tons and tons of Nascar re-runs.

I said Solberg because that is who I HOPE wins. I would love to see them win and have mitsu come back hard next year for a good season.

Oh, and I hate Citroen, Hyundai, Peugeot, and Skoda. Good for the sport, but they are getting in the way of all the real cars. :razz2:

520Talon
10-30-2003, 01:40 PM
I like both Loeb and Solberg. Solberg should get it just for his driving while his codriver tried to tighten down the steering wheel. Plus he get so much more excited about winning and giving interviews. But I also like Loeb for the sheer determination he has.

Its going to be on gravel so I wouldn't count out Burns either.

AJ
10-30-2003, 03:02 PM
Sebastian Loeb. he's been on a tear all season and I think will take it. Man that guy is fun to watch!

ABV
10-30-2003, 04:14 PM
I picked Solberg. The Pirelli's have been notorious for outperforming the Michelins in the wet this year. Being that Great Britain is known to have a little rain this time of year, I like Solberg's chances. At Rally Austrailia this year, Petter and Sebastian were neck and neck at the beginning of day 3. But the rain came, Petter kept his pace, and walked away with the victory. Also, Solberg won this event last year.

Matt D.
10-30-2003, 04:29 PM
Richard Burns for the upset.

sideways motorsports
10-30-2003, 05:30 PM
i say carlos. if he wins it might actually save his career. i think he still has some whoop ass left in him before he goes.

dan

MATCHBX
10-30-2003, 10:16 PM
I had to go with Petter. He is the Norwegian.

As far as the best for interviews, Gronholm wins hands down. I love the way he answers questions.

ABV
11-09-2003, 01:58 PM
SOLBERG WINS!!!!!!!!!!!! :banana:

The full story wrc.com (http://www.wrc.com/en_GB/News/2003/016/2003_R_GBdaywrap.htm)

Coverage will air tonight (11-9) at 8:00 on the speed channel.