PDA

View Full Version : Perkul8r's Rebuild.

Pages : [1] 2 3

Perkul8r
06-13-2010, 09:07 PM
Well, after posting in the new members area, i decided to get to work on my Laser. For anyone that hasn't read that, I bought car knowing that there may be possible head damage. The previous owner said the car just died one day. So i took it as a project. I have had a few DSM's so its not a new thing to me.

I decided to tear into it the other day and took it down to the timing belt. The belt had the teeth sheared off it on the crank gear. Not good. So I pulled the VC and sure enough, all but one of the exhaust cam rocker arms were sitting in the bottom. So i got tearing into today to see the extent of the damage.

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/vv14/Perkul8r/Plymouth%20Laser/SAM_0147.jpg
http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/vv14/Perkul8r/Plymouth%20Laser/SAM_0148.jpg

Now my question is. There is definite contact on the pistons. Will i have to replace them? Or can i clean them up and run em.

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/vv14/Perkul8r/Plymouth%20Laser/SAM_0149.jpg
http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/vv14/Perkul8r/Plymouth%20Laser/SAM_0150.jpg

goodhart
06-13-2010, 09:36 PM
If it were me, I would just replace them for peace of mind. Think of it as a good opportunity for 2g pistons I guess.

Perkul8r
06-13-2010, 09:38 PM
My only problem is that i need a car. lol. Me and the gf are down to one car and it aint working out. Plus i dont think i have that kind of money to rebuild a shortblock right now. I understand replacing them, i usually would. Are the 2g pistons that much better?

Halon
06-13-2010, 09:42 PM
Doesn't Steve have some cleaned up 1G pistons for sale on here? Just grab those, some new rings, and do a quick bottle hone on the cylinder walls and there ya go. Obviously the head will need to be repaired/replaced also.

Perkul8r
06-13-2010, 09:44 PM
I already have another head. I was gonna swap it and run it till i have the money to rebuild a shortblock. cause if i am right to swap pistons i would have to do new rod/main bearings.

Halon
06-13-2010, 10:03 PM
Why, do you know that they are bad?

Perkul8r
06-13-2010, 10:19 PM
well, thats what i have always done, i mean dont ya gotta pull the rod caps off and than swap pistons, and than reassemble? But in doing so cant that ruin the bearings? I guess i was always told and was taught that if pulling the rods off the crank to replace the bearings. But hey, maybe there is something i dont know. its happened before. lol

Goat Blower
06-13-2010, 11:37 PM
Mine are .050mm over, I'm guessing he's running stock bore. If your block has been bored out already, my pistons would be the ticket, they include almost brand new rings.

Personally, I'd just clean up your pistons in the car with a dremel, just make sure to cover up the edges so you don't get crap down on top of the rings.

Halon
06-14-2010, 07:49 PM
well, thats what i have always done, i mean dont ya gotta pull the rod caps off and than swap pistons, and than reassemble? But in doing so cant that ruin the bearings? I guess i was always told and was taught that if pulling the rods off the crank to replace the bearings. But hey, maybe there is something i dont know. its happened before. lol

You said you'd have to replace the rod/main bearings. You're not doing anything that would cause you to do anything regarding the main bearings. And if the rod bearings are in great shape, and you're on as tight of a budget you are making it out to be, then reusing them is simply an option. Me personally, I'd replace the rod bearings while in there for sure because they aren't that much, but you're making it sound like you're broke, so if that's the case then why not consider reusing them (as long as they are in great shape). If they are all scratched up, then replacing them is the obvious answer.

sleepydsm
06-14-2010, 08:19 PM
Like Steve said,
Just smooth out the indents, make sure there are no sharp burrs, and stuff something around the piston and bore to prevent crap from getting in there. I have personally done this on my last car, it was fine.