PDA

View Full Version : Gulf Oil Spill--recap, blame, etc

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

scheides
05-27-2010, 12:02 PM
I haven't followed this story much lately, but there is a great article today covering a bunch of points/allegations. Will be interesting to see what the fall-out from this is. Fucking sad on all counts though.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/05/27/AR2010052701957.html?hpid=topnews

Fun points (feel free to add more!)
-'Elizabeth Birnbaum resigned "effective immediately" from the U.S. Minerals Management Service, the Interior Department agency that has been faulted for lax oversight in the wake of the mammoth spill...' (scapegoat much? LOL)
-Exxon Veldez = 11million gallons, this is now up to 17-27million gallons.
-clean-up is making people sick (surprise!)
-BP apparently cut some corners:
"Moreover, the BP officials said, rig workers should have known oil or gas was in the drill pipe because when they were replacing drilling mud with seawater, they replaced 775 barrels of mud with only 352 barrels of water. "

"Meanwhile, at an official inquiry into the blowout in Kenner, La., the Deepwater Horizon's chief mechanic said he had witnessed a dispute between a BP official and rig workers. The dispute, mechanic Doug Brown said, was over whether to replace heavy drilling fluid in the well with lighter seawater. The rig workers didn't want to, he said, but the "company man" from BP overruled them: "This is how it's going to be."

"Brown said the top Transocean official on the rig grumbled, "Well, I guess that's what we have those pinchers for," which he took to be a reference to devices called shear rams, crucial equipment on the blowout preventer that can slam a well shut in an emergency."

"In addition, the Associated Press obtained witness statements given to the U.S. Coast Guard that described moments of indecision on the rig as workers waited for official approval before activating the blowout preventer. When they finally did, the AP said, there was no hydraulic power to operate it. "

-Oh, and there's fuking oil *everywhere*!

IMHO Discovery needs to make a show about people skimming oil then selling it for profit, like 'swamp loggers'

turbotalon1g
05-27-2010, 01:07 PM
I was just watching the pres address what a load of BS, BP must be doing something right with there $$$ to keep the gov't off their back.

Then all this BS about newer fuels, hydrogen?

Matt D.
05-27-2010, 01:11 PM
I was just watching the pres address what a load of BS, BP must be doing something right with there $$$ to keep the gov't off their back.

Then all this BS about newer fuels, hydrogen?
He's just telling people what they want to hear.

As I'm watching the live feed of the spill and an ROV is banging on the blowout preventer with a wrench...

Goat Blower
05-27-2010, 04:28 PM
Of course BO is pointing fingers as usual. We had a chance to burn off most of it on top of the water, but apparently the usual environmental wackos wouldn't allow that until the winds had changed and it was too late. Funny how burning it would pollute the atmosphere but washing up on the shore is somehow better? BP is mostly to blame here, but once again, thinking the government can actually do something efficiently and expediently is way too much to ask.

I can see the fallout after this though, they'll want to take over this industry as well in the name of saving the environment and we'll end up with European gas prices.

"Never let a good crisis go to waste." -BO

Kracka
05-27-2010, 04:36 PM
Of course BO is pointing fingers as usual. We had a chance to burn off most of it on top of the water, but apparently the usual environmental wackos wouldn't allow that until the winds had changed and it was too late. Funny how burning it would pollute the atmosphere but washing up on the shore is somehow better? BP is mostly to blame here, but once again, thinking the government can actually do something efficiently and expediently is way too much to ask.

I can see the fallout after this though, they'll want to take over this industry as well in the name of saving the environment and we'll end up with European gas prices.

"Never let a good crisis go to waste." -BO
We have nothing to worry about now!
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/05/27/obama-federal-government-charge-oil-spill-response/

Matt D.
06-01-2010, 01:37 PM
31 years later, same technology that didn't work then still doesn't work!

GHmhxpQEGPo

cudvig
06-01-2010, 02:16 PM
I looked on the live feed and it looks like they are trying to crimp it off today? who knows if that will even work!!!

-Colin

polishmafia
06-01-2010, 02:43 PM
They aren't crimping the line. They are cutting it off and putting a cap on the top to stop the leak.

cudvig
06-02-2010, 07:03 AM
awesome! well I already bought my tickets to florida but its on the the eastern side.

-Colin

Kracka
06-02-2010, 08:12 AM
awesome! well I already bought my tickets to florida but its on the the eastern side.

-Colin
Supposedly all of Florida is unaffected thus far.

*edit*
I spoke too soon!
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/06/02/oil-spill-nears-florida-state-braces-impact/